Does anyone own a Toucan?

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
Just curious, I've always wanted one. If only.
But of course I live in Australia, we can't have toucans, we can't have anything! Not even miniature hedgehogs :( I wish!
One day maybe the laws will change, and I will get my dream bird. Along with the mess that comes with them. But that's okay.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
I really hate to be a stick in the mud, but those laws are a godsend for Australia, without them the country would be overrun with foreign diseases and pests (more so than it currently is - just look at what rabbits and cane toads have done).

I've worked with my fair share of toucans and aracaris in the past, they're...ok. They're quite pretty, but don't really offer anything a parrot doesn't. I suppose if you're really in love with them you could go on a holiday to South America and meet some for real :)

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
There was a member here who posted something about them - hope she notices their post. I only know that they are EXTREMELY messy - much worse than parrots. :) And with that beak one can probably just tear your house down. LOL :)

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
I don't own one but the shelter has a permanent toucan resident. He is a messy messy bird. The walls are not happy with him at all. Eats low iron pellets and lots of fresh fruit (papaya, kiwi, blueberries, raspberries...last week)

This is a thread about them from before... jenphilly is my mother so the pictures are of the shelter toucan. I actually think she snapped the pic right before or during cage cleaning time.
http://www.parrotforums.com/others/43516-toucans.html

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Oh I know we have to have the laws, I don't disagree with that, it still sucks a little but haha.
I have heard they are very messy too lol.
I don't think we even have any in our zoos over here either.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Well he would be cool if I never had to clean his cage:D He makes this kind of croaky noise as talking or when he is happy.

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
Nope, Australian zoos are pretty abysmal haha. No toucans, hummingbirds, exotic owls, birds of paradise, trogons...*sigh*.

OP
Brodie

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
We used to have a pair of blue and golds at Melbourne zoo, there gone now not sure where they went though.. Now the big aviary has some amazons and conures in it

Most Reactions

Latest posts