Doe's this guy look healthy?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I wish my 3 year old girl loved head scratches. The only time she does love it is when she is in her harness. She's so independent but can't complain because she is seriously an amazing bird. Good thing but I'd love a little more affection from her. Lol. Hopefully the new baby will love the head rubs.....at least until maturity anyways. Good luck with your new cutie! I look forward to seeing more pics!

Layla may settle down in a year or two. As youngsters they are so busy which is good and not to be deterred IMO. :)

Laylatoo

Feb 27, 2017
Northern California
Parrots
Layla- F Galah 02/14
Jazzi- F Galah 3/24/17
Mali-F Meyers/Senegal 5/5/17
Pyper- F CAG 11-1-2017
She's as mellow as they come. She's three years old so no longer has the new baby crazies. :). She surprises me actually about how mellow she is. I try and keep her busy because she's a great perch potato. Lol

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
She's as mellow as they come. She's three years old so no longer has the new baby crazies. :). She surprises me actually about how mellow she is. I try and keep her busy because she's a great perch potato. Lol

Yes definitely keep up the activities and flying exercise to keep her happy and healthy. :)

OP
A

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Here's a comparison between eastern (left) and western species, you can see the western is larger and lighter colours, I don't know what the us rose-breasted is exactly but looks more like the eastern to me.

2nqxpol.jpg

OP
A

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
There's a tiny chance I pull out of this purchase from now til next week and let them keep the small deposit, just for the fact that he's in a busy bird store with little to no precautions, I just don't see how he COULD be healthy with all that exposure..(lots of other birds, people petting all day etc) Illness's that could be picked up from gram stain/cultures and treated is not a big concern, it's the fatal ones with no hope that concern me, maybe i'm completely wrong and exagerating and these fatal diseases are not as common as I'm thinking, I don't know!

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
There are folk on here who have had birds from pet stores and they are fine. Take the common sense approach and quarantine her, have a CAV health check at soonest opportunity. Maybe you have a family member who could house her for the required 40 days? Ask at the shop re any illness, discretely. It is great to have this in mind and take precautions but let it rule your decisions is plain daft, unless you have clear indications that all is not as it should be with her. OK?

Interesting pics btw, my Plum looks like a cross between the two species, ie the darker colour but the western eye.

Last edited:
OP
A

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
I think the main reason why I'm overly worried is because I have dealt with a sick bird before and it was a complicated sickness to say the least (no one on here had advise on the diagnosis) and it seemed I was just going in circles with the vet. That was very very stressful not to mention expensive.

I don't have anywhere else to house the new bird, I'm all for quarantine but just housing in the same airspace is a breech from what I've read. The only place with a separate airspace would be my outdoor balcony which is safe in terms of predators but winter did just start here, it doesn't get freezing cold here and I could block the wind completely with thick blankets but I don't know if thats enough, When I was younger I did have birds that lived on the balcony 24/7 ,any thoughts?

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Is Bella in your main living space?
Do you have another room, say a bedroom off a hallway that could be used?
Is the shop able to do this quarantine for you?
Difficult to say re the Balcony really.
Anyone on here live in the vicinity and can help?
Just some thoughts.

OP
A

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Bella is in my bedroom, which is where my pc is therefore where I am 90% of the time. I have other rooms yes but the whole unit shares the same air meaning any virus's that are airborne will not be quarantined even if the birds are in separate rooms. The shop is the last place I would leave him (high risk of exposure) and i'm getting blood taken for beak n feather by the shop and maybe other stuff literally right before I take him out of there. Taking predators/temperature into account I think it could work on the balcony for a while but a big issue would be no out of cage time,

Putting him in a separate room and taking quarantine measures will realistically only give me peace of mind and not really stop anything as setting up a true quarantine is not something most of us can do.
So yeah it will be stressful and a risk to bring him home, a risk i'm willing to take? maybe! Got two more days to think..

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts