Does your conure(s) have a nickname? If so, for what?

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Just thought people might want to share any nicknames for their conure fids. A little light-hearted conversation starter.

Skittles has several nicknames, each for different behaviors.

I call him 'bug eyes' when he is curious and staring at things. I call him 'Skitty' or 'Sweetheart' when he is being adorable or cuddly.

I call him 'little skit', 'little booger' and 'neo-tropical flying rat' when he is causing mischief or doing something he's not supposed to (hence why he has three nicknames for that behavior. Too much mischief for just one nickname.

What creative nicknames have your fids earned?:orange:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I call her poopy bird when she has accidents.

And when she is bad her name is monkey bird.

She thinks her name is don't bite.

:p

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I sometimes call Tiki, Tiki-Wiki, or ducky when he makes his duck-like quacks. Our tiel Taco, I call Taco-Belle,Talkie, and recently, soft taco because her feathers are sooo soft.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Pazu, paz, egg/egg mode, little bird, sassy bird, bugger, little green, fuzzy bird, arse (very rare), south american pigeon (very very rare).
Most names are situational, other names I don't call him any more like duck but I'm sure I call alot of things.
For he is pazu the almighty. And fluffy butt.

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Hah! Loves these. I call Avery Avie-Baby when she's a sweet heart, Flying Green Booger for the moments she's not. Shiko I'll actually call his full name when I'm sweet talking him (Shikoba), or we'll call him Stinker when he's decidedly being a brat. Both respond to Goober as I use it quite often with them, haha!

I also call Avery Duckie when she's busy quacking. I think it's a universal nickname for GCC's and their quacking sounds!

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
My friend calls Skittles "Froggy". We'll be on the phone and he'll be making his little froggy noises and she's say to me "I hear Froggy!".

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Oh let's see... Harley-Barley when he's being silly, quaking parrot pirate bird when he's quaking, my little man when he's being a sweetheart, wet rat after a bath, sleepy eyes when he gets tired, piggy when he eats a lot,featherhead is what my boyfriend calls him. Lol. There's more but can't think at 6 after 3 in the morning lol.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I call him Boobs (lol). Sometimes Monsieur Reyer. My friend calls him Barabas because he thinks he is the anti-Christ.

Funny thing is, my conure's name is Boomer and yet I never call him that when it's just me and him. I only use Boomer when I talk about him with other people. How strange.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
That's funny. I rarely call Skittles by his name as well. The same thing, only when I am talking about him to someone else.

I mostly call him "Skitty". Like, if I leave the room and he doesn't follow me - it does happen on occasion. I'll call to him "Skitty!" and he flies right to me. When it's time for bed, I say to him "Tutta go nunnight, Skitty go nunnight, Skitty go nunnight" and he goes into his cage.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That's neat. I wish Boomer would go inside his cage for bedtime on command. At night, I have to cuddle with him a few minutes on the couch before he'd let me put him inside the cage without a fuss.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
Well, Skittles used to come out entirely on his own when he was in his old cage. Now, with his new one, he won't come out on his own. He waits for me to take him out. I don't mind that, it's just that often times he will bow his head and want scratchies before he will come out.

I shouldn't say he goes right into his cage. He flies over to the door. The door to his cage is always opened (unless he's in the cage) and there is a perch on the door. He flies to that. But it's close enough. All I have to do is close the door.

It does amaze me how obedient he is. Needless to say, he still tests limits and is constantly getting into mischief.

Like he loves to sit atop the curtain rods which is a no-no and he knows it. Sometimes he will fly away from them if I say 'get over here' but when he doesn't all I have to do is start to get out of my chair and he takes off.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Does he chew on the rods? What if you replace it with metal ones?

Boomer has a thing for chewing the edge of my bedroom door right now. I'd say 'No' or 'Come here' sternly and he would (usually) stop, waddle to where I can see him. 5 minutes later he is back there again.

He responds to the 'Stay' command well. Not perfect but good enough that it helps me in certain situations to keep him from getting into trouble. He just doesn't stay long enough. Would be nice if he learned to stay put for an extended amount of time.

ManuIki

Oct 15, 2015
Honolulu
Parrots
Pepe is a turquoise green-cheeked conure, born May 22, 2015. We (husband and I) also call him "Manu Iki" (Hawaiian for "Little Bird").
We often call Pépe "Cuddle-butt." He is so cuddly!

Occasionally we call him Manu Iki (Hawaiian for "Little Bird"), Fuzz Butt, Buddy …

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Boomer LOL, OMG that is SOOOOOO Skittles! I'll tell him 'no' or 'get over here' and he'll leave the rods, then five seconds later he's back. He usually knocks it off after a few times. Especially if I get up out of my chair. On the rare occasion he persists time and again, I put him back in his cage. A few minutes later he'll make 'kissy noises' and I'll say to him "you gonna behave?" and he'll make kissy noises again and I let him out.

As for the curtain rods. The ones I have are metal, but they are almost completely covered (except the ends) by the curtain fabric. The curtains bunch up at the top and he likes to 'mate' with them. THAT'S why I hate it when he does that. He'll regurgitate on them and so on.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@manuiki That's funny "cuddle butt". I have called Skittles my little 'cuddlebug' before. I forgot that one.

I also must confess, sometimes I don't call him 'you little Skit' but rather replace the 'k' with an 'h'. LOL.

He is an active little bugger. Never staying still in one place except when he is napping or if he is wet. He keeps me on my toes and from being lonely, so it's a good thing. Though I could do without many of his little antics, but they are also what makes him so adorable.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
I would give the world for Boomer to be more mellow. He is hyper active. It's gotten better to when he'd nap in my shirt or in my knee when I'm playing in the computer.

Speaking of which, I'll pm you my steam profile. You can add me if you want. I'm not on playing steam games as much lately but I'm regularly on it.

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
I don't think my bird knows what her full name is cause she has so many nick names. Her everyday nick name is PP or P. When she is being cute its Peanut....when she is in attack mode it is plyer with wings or fresh-a-kins ... where half of these came from I have no idea.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@BoomBoom I'll check that out (Steam). I mostly go on there to check out the workshop for Cities Skylines, other than that I just use it to launch games.

As for the 'hyper-activity', Skittles is the same way. He too has mellowed out a bit, but I think most of that is due to a change in methods by me. Of course his age might play a part in it. He can be a real pain when I am trying to concentrate on something and it becomes hard to supervise him. For example, when playing a game or watching a movie. That's why I like his new habit of climbing down my shirt while chewing on it when I am sitting in my chair watching tv. When I am at the PC, he'll sit on my shoulder (as he is now) and climb down to right below my shoulder and stare at me. He is prompting me to pay attention to him, usually for scratchies. I'm not sure he knows how good he has it!

@krisandpenelope Whenever I call Skittles I say "Skitty" in a birdy voice and he responds. I do stick with one name for certain commands. When he hears me say "Skitty", he flies to me (if he is out of the room). If I say "come on", and tap my shoulder he flies to my shoulder. If I say "get over here" in a stern voice and point to someplace, he flies there. I have to be consistent so I don't confuse him.

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Kujo, when Sheldon is especially in a bad mood..probably hormonal (I can relate..LOL.)
Nerd, when he's just being goofy.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
@Boomer Perhaps you'd be interested in this? It's a 'mellow' sun conure. haha

489214e35c1c0c603bddea0ad8c41b2a.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts