Does your ekkie take treats

Huss

Sep 18, 2011
Sydney
Parrots
Male eclectus
Hi guys. Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. My boy turns 1 soon. I've had him since he was 7 weeks. Everything is cool between us. I want to start trick training but my boy doesn't really like treats. In his cage he has 5 bowls. 2 with water. 1 with mixed seeds and nuts. 1 with a small amount of pellets and another with a variety of fruits and veges. Now I want to start offering him some kind of treat but he's never really interested. How do i get him interested. He has never bitten me. Never runs from me. Talks alot but only when he feels like it any advice????:

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I couldn't give any helpful advice, as my bird doesn't really take treats either. When I offer her something she just stares at it like :| What? Haha. I am interested to see if anyone has advice on getting eccy to take treats!

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
My suggestion would be to remove any seeds from the cage. I never feed seeds to my birds except as treats. My Ekkie takes sunflower seeds, peanuts and shelled almonds and raisins as treats for trick training. If it is available in the cage they have no need to do what you ask them to do to receive the treat. A treat should be just that a treat, never a food item they have access to on their own. My Ekkie has learned the handshake, the bat, lying on her back, and fetch by using these items as treats only.

marleyecc

Sep 24, 2012
I have a 4 month old male ekkie and when I offer a treat he just stares at it also. Is he still too young to take treats? How small should the treat be? I have read most people use pine nuts, walnuts, and almonds for treats. Do I offer the whole nut or little pieces? Also, do I offer the treat with my hand open or with only 2 fingers?

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
yep hard to get someone who is full to do something for food cut back on his food especially what you want to give them as a treat.

Most Reactions