Does your Mac play on the floor ?

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
BB has never been one for the bottom of the cage much less coming out onto the floor. We have a set routine at my house when I come in from work.
Dogs eat
Dogs go out asap GOTTA GO
Bird snacks on a nut while I fix his and our dinner.
Cage door is open when i give him his snack
Every day this week as soon as the dogs are let out. BB is hauling his feather butt down the cage and across the floor to me. The first time or two I tried to pick him up . Heck no are you crazy .

He just follows me around picking up anything that looks interesting and tossing it. Grabbing the dogs dry food dish shaking it to make the food scatter . Then its over to the fridge . Tapping time on it and laughing at his reflection . Grabbing my pants leg now and then just to get a drag ride on the floor ( note to self mop floor more often )

He has really opened up this past month but coming down to the floor really shocked me.

Yes the dogs stay outside as long as he is on the floor.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah.

I have a house full of waddlers, although Maggie isn't the worst offender, she's close...

My CAG and my Lilac Crowned Amazon are my worst offenders.

There was a time when I had 11 birds, and when I'd be sitting on the couch, if I waited to long to come and get them, there would be a parade from the bird room into the living room. (The first bird who got away with it... followed by all the others... Hey, he didn't just put that one back. I guess we're good to go.)

And soon thereafter, I'd be on a couch covered with birds...

So I'd say, yes, absolutely it's normal. NOW you've got a normal mush mac on your hands... Pretty cool, huh?! And like I said, this is still the tip of the iceburg. There's much more just below the surface that could come bubbling out at any time...

THEY ARE SUCH JOYFUL CRITTERS...

Woody had a box of toys that he would just wander down and play with, and he'd drag his blanket over to you, wanting to play tug or war, or peek e boo with it...

Maggie has a towel that we keep on the floor. It's chew toy/tug of war toy/peek e boo toy/place to hang out when you don't feel like picking her up and she's on the floor.

One of those inexpensive fleece blankets works good for this. That's what Woody had... it was his favorite thing. Along with a doggy squeaky toy... those long things... and I also had a cat toy that was like a feather on a stick, he loved to play with. (That one tended not to survive very long.)

Last edited:
OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Amazing. I said when I adopted him it was amazing. I have to find a new word now. I love my dogs but when I look down at BB and he yells HI well my heart melts.

I've also noticed some things set him off to just yelling. Last night watching a movie The woman was yelling at some guy BB went OFF I had to mute the sound . Old haunts I guess. Boyfriend said he has noticed that any woman yelling just drives him nuts.

I can lift both his wings now so might start on the Harness training again.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah. They're absolute playahaulics... and go from playahaulic to cuddle bug in nothing flat... and then right back to playahaulic again.

It's still those, head on your shoulder talking baby talk times that get me though. It happens a couple of times a day, and I still melt every time:

Two theories on the yelling:

1. It's a competition, and I'm going to join in.

2. I want to be a part of any LOUD conversations that take place in this house.

3. This brings back bad memories... and upsets me.

MORE LIKELY THAN NOT IT'S #1 OR #2... BUT OCCASIONALLY IT'S #3.

Usually yelling at them simply does not phase them, and only teaches them to be louder than you. It doesn't work. "OH GOODIE! I CAN YELL TOO LADY."

But if it's someone who has grated on their nerves for a very long time... they might be conditioned to react to it... it's certainly plausible.

MAGGIE has enough "firepower" when she goes off to pretty much drowned out everyone... no matter how loud. POINT MADE. Maggie has the last word.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When my ex-wife used to yell at me...

Sally went "big bird." Full on amazon wings out, zoned out, crazed eyes, "I could attack you any second now..."

My ex was very much afraid of that bird! She was THAT protective of me.

So they do pay attention to stuff like that at times...

THAT'S ALL THE ABUSE I'M GONNA TAKE FROM YOU LADY... I THINK YOU'D BETTER LEAVE NOW.... :D

Yeah. I saved her.

But she saved me too.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Niko likes to play on the floor, but I don't let him for too long. I have 2 dogs that reside indoors, and even when they leap on the couch, in an attempt to get away from the feathery B&G creature, I just don't trust Niko waddling around. He's taken off chunks of baseboard in 1/10th of a second. He's splintered some of my kitchen cabinets, too. :54:

OP
Christinenc2000

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
yeah BB has taken off a small section of a window frame OOPS. He seems to know he can not get on the floor when dogs are inside. A few times he has been on the playstand and wanted back to his cage. He will go 1/2 down and start yelling Hello Hello like Hey dummies i am ready to go home........ Once Boyfriend or I have control of the dogs he climbs down and goes home. Funny to watch. My Corgi is scared of him but well a Jack does not fear anything. Like you I don't and will not trust it ever.

I have not heard him do a full out Macaw yell in a long time. Only loud one is when I change his water he thinks its funny to sneak up on me and try to yell and make me spill it. It always gets a Hahahaha from him with I do. The butt head.

Heart melting for me are the whispers OMG it tickles me. I can't understand anything but he tries.

New words are
I love you
Good bird
shew <-- to the dogs shew them away from him
Mine
scoobie dooo <-- to much cartoons
More
Please
out
don't do that
Cookie Time .... That comes from giving the Dogs there treat bones. Called Cookies and this one pisses me off when he does it and they have already had one. Both wag there tail and look at me like Hey the damn bird said its time for a cookie

His personality has really come out in the last few months. Majestic is the word i tell friends when they ask what he is like .

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
LOL at how BB has learned to say "Cookie Time" - what a fun way to torment the dogs (and you)!

Love to hear about all the wonderful progress you have made with BB! It is very encouraging.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
When we lived in Venezuela, our macs lived outside in our Mango tree, and they could see the neighbor's dogs from our yard.

They used to call the stupid dogs, and whistle for them.... and the dogs would come running every time. Huh... nobody here... I'm so confused. I'll go back and lay down....

As soon as they were out of sight... [INSERT EVIL BIRD LAUGHTER HERE: DO IT AGAIN...]

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
If I don't cage everyone at dinner I end up with a conure, a starling, a bunny and a dog under the table waiting for food to drop.
It's been since we got the bunny, so I'm thinking the birds see the bunny has joined the dog under the table that it must be a flock thing so they should go too.

I also find it strange to be on the computer and see the dog walk by with two birds on his back and a bunny following.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I also find it strange to be on the computer and see the dog walk by with two birds on his back and a bunny following.

Positively surreal... how the definition of "normal" can get so warped, and yet be so entirely "normal" for your household at the same time.

Most Reactions