Doesn't know how to be a macaw

Emilymaggie

Dec 22, 2014
Connecticut
Parrots
African grey, Hahn's macaw, Parrotlets, Ring-necked doves
Hello,
This last September I came into owning a Hahn's macaw. I was looking into adopting a Mustache, and when I went to meet one the foster lady started pushing her own birds on me. She had the macaw in a cage on the front lawn and insisted I take him. The cage was FILTHY, the bird had clearly been over preening, there were two old, stringy toys in with him, and only one perch that was more suited for large macaw feet. I couldn't just leave him like that, so I packed him up and arranged to find a new home for the Mustache ASAP. image.jpg
Introducing- Chester! He is chatty, social, and thinks he's pretty sneaky :rolleyes:. So far he will only step up when he thinks I'm not looking. I am not trying to push him, I think with time we will become great friends. My only concern is that he does not act like a normal macaw. I have a large variety of toys in his cage and none of them seem to interest him. I "trick" him into playing with some by hanging them in areas where he is forced to encounter them (near his favorite perches, closer to the top of the cage, by his food bowl etc) and he is not afraid of them, just uninterested. I have wood toys, shredables, foot toys, bells, skewers, climbing toys, swings, rope toys... I know he will learn how to play on his own if I keep trying new things and rotating old ones out, but I was hoping for some input? I left one of the toys he came with because he likes to sleep behind it, and I don't want to take away that security. But other than patience, I am not sure what more I can do to get him to entertain himself.
Vet said he has a strong liver, good weight, and he is now on a good diet. By the way, his lungs work great too ;). My grey is going through a molt, and it looks like Chester is too. I am a little worried the over preening might advance to plucking, but I am hoping the toy situation might help stop that.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sounds like he needs to be taught to play, and taught games. Sit down with a towel on your lap, and a toy. Play with it with him...

Sounds like years of neglect to me...

He doesn't remember how to play. He doesn't remember interaction.

Frequent bathing should help the overpreening problem, as will giving him something constructive to do, and giving him the interaction it sounds like he hasn't had.

These are the kinds of birds that benefit from a change of scenery as well. Getting them outside on nice days, and getting them out and about. Reviving their interest in the world... THAT will go a long way with this little one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts