Dog toys for parrots

Jroyal14

Sep 13, 2014
Michigan
Parrots
12 y/o male African Grey (Mickey)
SO Mickey loves to chew up his toys and tends to go through them very quickly. I've noticed that dog toys tend to be way cheaper than toys specifically for parrots. Do you guys ever get dog toys? what about rawhide bones? it seems like it would be a good chew toy for mickey since his life goal seems to be to find anything he can and chew it up.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
Someone on this forum said the rawhide can cause intestinal blockages if your bird swallows it. Other than that I would use caution and common sense with any toys you give your bird. Just because it says it's safe for a bird doesn't mean it's safe for every bird.

I make lots of toys myself to cut down on the cost of replacing toys. Lots of places to get cheap toy parts that are bird safe.

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Most of my Toys come from Lowes now LOL. 2 x 4 drilled and cut . If you look you can buy the broken boards cheaper. Few of the guys that work there even place them aside for me along with bent ones they can not sell. Little food color and it looks as good as a $30.00 toy and does not hurt my feelings when the bottom of the cage looks like he busted open a box of tooth picks :)

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I have not used dog toys as bird toys- I don't use rawhide either. I know they're cheaper, but I don't think they're made with the same safety standards as bird toys are (IMHO).

I make all of my bird toys myself- I can't remember the last time I actually bought one from the store lol It's much cheaper to buy parts and put them together --you can use things you may already have around your house.

*clean cardboard egg cartons
*clean cardboard drink carriers (if you go to fast food places, just ask for one...or a few lol)
*clean cardboard boxes
*cupcake papers
*paper coffee filters
*empty paper towel rolls- glue free (sometimes I give chili a fresh roll of toilet paper to destroy)
*paper coin rolls
*wiffle balls
*popsicle sticks
*unwaxed paper cups

And as Christine suggested, you can make your own wood parts.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've drilled out rawhide chews and strung them up between blocks for my big macs. My RFM likes those...

I've also taken those big rawhide dog bones, drilled them out, and used them as perch materials for macaws. (Just use a long screw, a couple of washers, and a wing nut.)

They also have Kong toys. A dog Kong costs about ten bucks. A bird kong costs about thirty bucks. Why?! It's the same stuff.

They also have doggie rope toys, some of which I turned into swings/climbing toys.

I got a bunch of ABC blocks from the dollar store. 12 for 1 dollar. Drilled them out, strung them up, run rawhide chews and bamboo between them... Sweepea loves these. At a cost of around three to five bucks each.

Last edited:

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
I buy $1 dog toys (like ropes with little balls) all the time - my little guys love to perch and swing on them. They also chew them sometimes. They are quite durable actually - some of them lasted for 6 mo and more. But they are used as rope perches and not chewed so much. :) I also use cat toys like balls with little bells inside and hang them on the leftover bird toy chains - my gcc loves them most of all. I agree that bird toys are much more expensive and don't last that long. I have tons of them anyway and dog/cat toys are maybe 10% of all. If you have bird fairs where you live try buying there - I bought plenty of nice toys for $1-2 a piece or 2 for $1! :)

Most Reactions