Downsize the cage?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
We have a HUGE cage for Pepper. But she only is inside her cage to sleep and to nap for an hour a day. Oh, and the occassion errand. I'm beginning to feel like the cage that takes up a massive amount of real estate in our house is a bit overkill. Has anybody ever downsized for a bird who is out of the cage all the time? I swear it would make much more sense to have a nice big play stand than a big cage for us. I'm home all the time, she's either with me, or on her playtop. We got a few other perches now that we can move around the house so she can party with us wherever we go.

Oh and for reference, the cage she has is huge- 40 tall 43 wide and 28 deep. The playtop adds another foot to the top. I'm don't want to go super small, just maybe something smaller.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
We did that and ditched the cage all together for a homemade tree stand :) Behaviour has improved tremendously and its better than having a cage for sleeping in and a stand for everything else :) If youre not ready to ditch the cage there are fantastic corner cages that are huge but save so much space, the only problem is you ususally cant hang things from the top :(

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
Changing cages can be a little risky, but you never know how they'll react. Guess it depends how long they've been in the cage. I also don't have any Grey's, I'd have no problem personally with changing cages on any of mine though. The Zon's do need a bigger cage I know for a fact.

Get a GW, then you'll know how much "real estate" they take up with their cages :rolleyes:

Most Reactions

Latest posts