Dr told me my bird is dying from poisoning and or liver disease (Dr said chronic)

NoviceBirdOwner

Mar 25, 2024
Parrots
Yellow Headed Amazon
Yellow Naped Amazon
Hi everyone, I wanted provide an update to my most recent post: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/amazon-losing-balance-and-falling-please-help.102214/

I took my amazon to get a second opinion. This time from a Dr who only sees bird and I’m glad I did.

Unfortunately, right away he told me that my Amazon is sick. He pointed out the yellow spotting on the feathers. Showed me a few bald spots on the belly and said he/she was fat. He pointed out his wobbly behavior. One foot was flat and the other closed. Sometimes both closed. The way he was acting in the cage I brought it in. He/she has anemia but not too severe (could be wrong but I do remember anemic being brought up)

X-rays showed that it ingested metal, rocks or something. It had about 10 little objects in it and the dr said, if it was metal, it could be poisoning the bird. The X-ray also showed a shrunken liver and that could be leading to issues in the brain causing the imbalance. Ultimately, I inherited a bird that was already sick and now we’re dealing with the symptoms.

I’m waiting for two blood exams. One for metal toxins and one for like cholesterol etc. Should be getting both next week.

The dr was kind enough to give me a bag of roudy bush pellets. I’m really sorry but I’ve been feeding my babies seeds that a local farm sells. These seeds include sunflower seeds, smaller seeds, nuts etc. Told me that I’m basically feeding my babies McDonald’s and Ben n Jerry’s.

He prescribed a liquid mixture of calcium and probably something else. The invoice says calcium powder etc. I’m suppose to give it to him/her via syringe 3 times a day Saturday Sunday and Monday.

The dr said that the plan is to stabilize the bird and hopefully be well enough to undergo surgery and remove the objects inside of it. He won’t do the surgery if tests come back really bad cause at that point the surgery won’t save it’s life.

I’m really hoping the tests come back decent enough because I’m willing to do the surgery. It’s pricy but I don’t want to it pass away. Both my amazons appears to be super close to one another and I’m sure losing on will affect the other.

That’s pretty much it and I hope anybody dealing with any related issues gets the help they need.

Attachments

• IMG_3841.jpeg
    IMG_3841.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 28

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Good on you for seeking a second, qualified, opinion, and seeing this through. I wish the best outcome for your Amazon, who are the souls of parrothood ( debated by some :):)).

Pipsqueek

Mar 25, 2024
Media
Albums
Massachusetts -USA
Hi everyone, I wanted provide an update to my most recent post: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/amazon-losing-balance-and-falling-please-help.102214/

I took my amazon to get a second opinion. This time from a Dr who only sees bird and I’m glad I did.

Unfortunately, right away he told me that my Amazon is sick. He pointed out the yellow spotting on the feathers. Showed me a few bald spots on the belly and said he/she was fat. He pointed out his wobbly behavior. One foot was flat and the other closed. Sometimes both closed. The way he was acting in the cage I brought it in. He/she has anemia but not too severe (could be wrong but I do remember anemic being brought up)

X-rays showed that it ingested metal, rocks or something. It had about 10 little objects in it and the dr said, if it was metal, it could be poisoning the bird. The X-ray also showed a shrunken liver and that could be leading to issues in the brain causing the imbalance. Ultimately, I inherited a bird that was already sick and now we’re dealing with the symptoms.

I’m waiting for two blood exams. One for metal toxins and one for like cholesterol etc. Should be getting both next week.

The dr was kind enough to give me a bag of roudy bush pellets. I’m really sorry but I’ve been feeding my babies seeds that a local farm sells. These seeds include sunflower seeds, smaller seeds, nuts etc. Told me that I’m basically feeding my babies McDonald’s and Ben n Jerry’s.

He prescribed a liquid mixture of calcium and probably something else. The invoice says calcium powder etc. I’m suppose to give it to him/her via syringe 3 times a day Saturday Sunday and Monday.

The dr said that the plan is to stabilize the bird and hopefully be well enough to undergo surgery and remove the objects inside of it. He won’t do the surgery if tests come back really bad cause at that point the surgery won’t save it’s life.

I’m really hoping the tests come back decent enough because I’m willing to do the surgery. It’s pricy but I don’t want to it pass away. Both my amazons appears to be super close to one another and I’m sure losing on will affect the other.

That’s pretty much it and I hope anybody dealing with any related issues gets the help they need.
sending positive thoughts your way. I'm glad I read this because I was just online looking for a farm that sells seeds etc.

dcfla

Apr 25, 2024
Parrots
We Have 3 Now Senior Pooches & One Paco. An Orange Winged Amazon.

I’m really hoping the tests come back decent enough because I’m willing to do the surgery. It’s pricy but I don’t want to it pass away. Both my amazons appears to be super. certainly hope your bird Is OK & Is Able to get surgery, Not Sure What State you r in but if someone could tell me How to find Good vain Vet for Brevard County Florida It Would Help Me & Paco. Ty.

dcfla

Apr 25, 2024
Parrots
We Have 3 Now Senior Pooches & One Paco. An Orange Winged Amazon.

Hello, On March 29th You Posted You were waiting for the labs for your Yellow who'd ingested metal. Any Updates on those So Plans for Surgery? We have an Orange Wing Amazon, PACO, Not Sure How or Why It showed Me Replying to You But it's Confusing, Only Way I knew Part of what I read was the Name of PACO Was at End of Your Post & That "Part" Was me, Asking if Anyone knew in Brevard County Fl if there's a Good Avian Vet? Weird how these Posts & Replies Are Showing Up on My End. Either Way I'm Sure HOPING Your Baby Gets Great Labs & Can have the Surgery & Make a Full Come Back! SIncerely, Debbie FL

Most Reactions