Dreams and/or nightmares..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...just curious..anyone (besides ME) have dreams/nightmares about their kid(s)?
I have a story that for some reason came to mind and thought I'd just share.

This "nightmare" happened years ago.. It starts out..my Mom,for whatever reason,got angry with Smokes,and for "punishment" mom put Smokers outside,in the grass,by the back door.
When I drove into the driveway,it was snowing pretty hard :eek: and there was about five or six inches of snow on the ground.
As I got out of the car, I could hear in a very faint,and frantic voice.."HELP!...HELP!!! somebody PLEASE! Help me!!"

I thought to myself for a moment and said..geeez...that sounds like Smokey! I yelled out " Smokey??Smokey???...is that you baby??"
Then I heard " DADDY!!! HELP ME!!" and I looked in the area from where the voice was coming from. Again I heard DADDY HELP!! and as I focused my eyes, I could see this little grey head popping up out of the snow! Smokey was covered with snow ABOVE her head!!

I ran over and scooped her out of the snow as she was uncontrollably shivering,saying DADDY DADDY! WHY DID GRAMMA DO THIS TO ME???
When I got Smokes in the house I wrapped her in a blanket with a water bottle and asked Mom..WTH MOM???? Why is she out there in the snow??
Mom said..."Oh... I forgot about her"

Now in real life, Mom would NEVER do that to Smokey,or Amy or ANY animal for that matter.
But I woke up with a start..sweat pouring profusely from me,trembling like the dickens. I actually got up to check on Smokey,until my mind had cleared,then realizing that Smokey,AND Mom..had already passed a few years before.

I still have that nightmare from time to time and it freaks the beejesus out of me when I do.

Jim

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Have had no nightmares with my Fids, at least that I remember.

I have had 2 dreams with my departed Amazons.

Dream 1 was very brief and unusual.
Most all my dreams have a location. I know where I am House, apartment, car whatever. In this dream there was no location. I only saw Pacho with a completely blank background. She was looking at me and quivering her wings in her "happy to see you" greeting.

2nd dream was with both Pacho and Plumas and took place on the couch in our house.
I was "playing" with Plumas (something that was never possible with him). There was a blanket on the couch and he was under the blanket climbing around and peeking out from under it. Pacho was on the back rest of the couch watching.

I am a firm believer that dreams have meaning, especially repeating dreams. Only you can know the meaning behind a dream. I know I have had dreams that turned out to have great meaning in my life, sometimes decades after the fact.

wes

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Wow Jim, that would be a terrifying nightmare and keep me up for hours after waking. My guess it has something to do with loss, sadness, and vulnerability.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Nightmares, for me, are one of the symptoms of anxiety. Usually they’re not about Bumble or other pets-anxiety gives me those horrible thoughts when I’m awake. Medication stops the nightmares completely.

That dream would be horrifying. It was upsetting just to read it. I can only imagine how you felt waking up from that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
What upsetting you jim? I don't dream often but when I do I know something is on my mind or I feel I've lost control of something. I'm sure nightmares are when your brain is beating itself up about something.
Work it out mate.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
For a little while I had a recurring dream about a bird I had at the time. I would have a nightmare that she was clinging to my shirt for a chin cuddle ride while we were going somewhere and for whatever reason she took off only to land in a street and promptly get squished right in front of me.

It was horrible.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I've not had any bad dreams about my Perjo and hopefully never will, but if you want to be truly freaked out I can tell you stories about my sleep paralysis I go through a couple times a year. It's one of the strangest feelings you can experience.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I like Scott's poin... I think dreams tell us about our emotional states and general ambitions and such, not necessarily secific situations or predictions. I usually ask myself what the thing or person being dreamed about represents to me, and then relate the chain of action to it. Example, the Rb (awful as he is) represents innocence and Nature and things that need protection, so when I dreamed (as I once did) that people were building a parking lot on him and drowning him in cement... well... it's a tree-hugger's central nightmare: civilization is destroying habitat and endangering species!

Then sometimes, dreams are probably just random nonsense

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I've had two dreams about Ralph the QP. In one, I was shopping for parrot toys in a big department store with Ralph perched on my arm. Ralph (who really isn't crazy about parrot toys) got bored and flew away. I looked all over the store for him, and finally found him sleeping on top of a big green sofa in the furniture department.

In the other, I was at a backyard picnic at my former neighbors' house, with Ralph sitting on my shoulder. He decided to fly off, and went in through the open door into my neighbors' house. I found him sitting on the kitchen table eating from a big bowl of potato chips.

Neither of these things (or anything close to them) will ever happen in real life.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Jezz, Jim, that's some nightmare ! Maybe all them 'shrooms from the 60's? I wouldn't want to have something like that even once, much less a repeat. Oh I get bad dreams once in awhile, but i rarely remember them, and Geri says she can tell when its a bad one because I wake up cursing somebody or something. Last time , it was the French !

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
"shroom's from the 60's"... :D :D :D

Jim

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
I wake up cursing somebody or something. Last time , it was the French !

This is entirely normal, they have it coming to them.... Garlic eating surrender monkeys!
I'm not sure its universal but definitely an English/French thing, most likely you have some English heritage that's just saying hello :04:

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
I have a recurring dream about my snakes, they have bred without me realising and I can't find, keep, control the babies and I'm not looking after them properly. The situation varies each time, but the theme is always that I'm overwhelmed and failing!

I rarely remember my dreams, but I've had this one on and off for the last 10 years. Haven't ever put the work in to figure out the pattern, but I'm sure they're linked to feeling overwhelmed by something that I feel is my responsibility.

Most Reactions