dry skin and peeling feet/leg

mybluebirb

Jun 5, 2023
Parrots
one female indian ringneck
iā€™ve recently noticed my indian ringnecks foot has been very dry. almost 2 weeks ago i saw there was a little scab on her leg that was red she mustā€™ve hurt herself somewhere but thatā€™s healed now. then a few days after her feet were dry and she has a pressure sore on one of them (her right foot).

the perches she sits on are natural wood and i wrapped her other perch in vet wrap (to prevent bumble foot). however the pressure sore is still there and is the same as it was before, iā€™m not sure how long they take to heal..
Some days I put coconut oil on her feet before she sleeps (she hates it!) and I didnā€™t see much difference tbh.
I also wash her feet with warm water (not daily) which makes them look less dry and softer.

today i saw her right leg was peeling too and itā€™s like thereā€™s new (slightly peach) skin under it. sheā€™s also moulting at the moment and is very tired because of it so she goes to sleep more frequently with her weight on her right leg as she keeps her left leg snuggled up in her tummy haha. besides that sheā€™s just her regular cheeky self! i wanted to ask here before taking her to the vet as itā€™s very expensive to go to the vet here..

here are pictures of her feet for reference
iā€™ve also wrote the date and which foot is which just in case lol

IMG_4582.jpeg
IMG_4583.jpegIMG_4584.jpeg
IMG_4581.jpeg
IMG_4586.jpeg
IMG_4577.jpeg

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
iā€™ve recently noticed my indian ringnecks foot has been very dry. almost 2 weeks ago i saw there was a little scab on her leg that was red she mustā€™ve hurt herself somewhere but thatā€™s healed now. then a few days after her feet were dry and she has a pressure sore on one of them (her right foot).

the perches she sits on are natural wood and i wrapped her other perch in vet wrap (to prevent bumble foot). however the pressure sore is still there and is the same as it was before, iā€™m not sure how long they take to heal..
Some days I put coconut oil on her feet before she sleeps (she hates it!) and I didnā€™t see much difference tbh.
I also wash her feet with warm water (not daily) which makes them look less dry and softer.

today i saw her right leg was peeling too and itā€™s like thereā€™s new (slightly peach) skin under it. sheā€™s also moulting at the moment and is very tired because of it so she goes to sleep more frequently with her weight on her right leg as she keeps her left leg snuggled up in her tummy haha. besides that sheā€™s just her regular cheeky self! i wanted to ask here before taking her to the vet as itā€™s very expensive to go to the vet here..

here are pictures of her feet for reference
iā€™ve also wrote the date and which foot is which just in case lol

View attachment 55326
View attachment 55327View attachment 55328
View attachment 55329
View attachment 55330
View attachment 55331
I would try rubbing some olive oil into her feet after washing them.
I don't see any obvious problem areas but I'd take her to an avian vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts