Bacterial and Fungal Infection

KiwiDaWeirdo

Sep 9, 2022
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure
Can I know what kind of bacterial and fungi infection that can affect my bird when they are never in contact with others birds?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Bacterial infections of many many types can occur regardless of whether your bird has contact with other birds. Crop infections, upper respiratory infections, lower respiratory infections, skin infections, etc. You have to be constantly vigilant of bacterial infections, because to be honest while they are contagious from bird to bird sometimes, I feel like most of the time when a bird comes down with a bacterial infection, the cause is going to be poor hygiene of some sort, or a lowered immune system. Be sure to keep bowls and perches clean and monitor for symptoms of discomfort in your birds (labored breathing, puffed feathers, or--in worst cases--not eating/drinking or spending a lot of time on the floor of the cage).

Fungal infections are SEVERELY CONTAGIOUS so your biggest concern (with things like ringworm or yeast infections) is contact with other birds. If your bird is alone with no contact with other birds, they are unlikely to come down with fungal infections. However, YOU can also pass a fungal infection to your bird by handling an infected animal, coming home, and handling your bird, so be mindful of that.

Ultimately, your biggest defense against infection of any kind is testing early and good hygiene.

Here's a relevant page: https://www.petmd.com/bird/conditions/skin/c_bd_skin_infections

Most Reactions

Latest posts