Dumb things

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I remembered another thing I believed prior to owning Levi.

I eat tons of avacados. I think it’s a perfect food for so many reasons. So, I totally planned on sharing them w/ him. So, I was SHOCKED to find out that they are actually deadly to parrots. :52:
I was surprised at how many foods could be harmful if not deadly to our beloved birds.

Oh god yeah exactly that! Seeing the sheer quantity of toxic substances for parrots was more daunting to me than the idea of the next 30 years with a parrot, though apple seeds I already knew of due to the whole cyanide content thing. Thankfully a bit of thinking and care will be more than enough to avoid accidents.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I do't think I've ever even held or eaten and Acevedo, but the learning about onion things kind of scared me....I never even envisioned that....It never happened but easily could have.

ParrotLover2001

Dec 20, 2016
In my parents house
Parrots
A cockatiel, a bourke, and three budgies
My sister use to think that wing clipping was cutting off the entire wing.
She only realized it was just the feathers yesterday while I was clipping Elvis and Jordan.

Sent from my Galaxy s8

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm going to be straight up honest with you, because we all deserve honesty....this is the closest I've ever been to an avocado.....I would have been um 12-14yo at the time.... don't judge we had cinemax....

MV5BMzNjZThlZjItOGE2ZS00ZjZhLTlkOWYtMmExNzQ0ZjNkNzMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,693,1000_AL_.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Okay, here's one...
When I first got the Rb, there were no Forums, so I "winged it" a lot. I thought that screaming and making noise meant something was WRONG. Like with dogs and cats.
Consequently, I thought the Rb had a lot of problems. Which he did and still does, but anyway...
I soon figured out that there was more to it than that!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
I love this thread! Thanks Lord Triggs!

Ok... my turn... get ready to laugh at me.

Before I got my Yoda, I really wanted to get a puppy but my husband was allergic to them. So my choices for a pet were limited to: Fish, reptile, bird. I once had an iguana and it wasn't terribly affectionate, but at least it would hang out on my shoulder. I looked into getting a bird because I figured it would be softer to pet then an iguana.

I thought a pet bird would be like an iguana in that I would be lucky if it 'tolerated' my affection and might occasionally let me put him on my shoulder.

Boy was I ever wrong!!! :D I've never known any animal to be as loving and affectionate and cuddly and sweet as my little Yoda. Even a puppy would prefer to be left alone once in a while... but NOT Yoda! Like Justin said, I can't even go to the bathroom by myself without making Yoda cry.

And when I come home, I honestly don't know who is happier, him or me. :60::rainbow1:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
I love this thread! Thanks Lord Triggs!

Ok... my turn... get ready to laugh at me.

Before I got my Yoda, I really wanted to get a puppy but my husband was allergic to them. So my choices for a pet were limited to: Fish, reptile, bird. I once had an iguana and it wasn't terribly affectionate, but at least it would hang out on my shoulder. I looked into getting a bird because I figured it would be softer to pet then an iguana.

I thought a pet bird would be like an iguana in that I would be lucky if it 'tolerated' my affection and might occasionally let me put him on my shoulder.

Boy was I ever wrong!!! :D I've never known any animal to be as loving and affectionate and cuddly and sweet as my little Yoda. Even a puppy would prefer to be left alone once in a while... but NOT Yoda! Like Justin said, I can't even go to the bathroom by myself without making Yoda cry.

And when I come home, I honestly don't know who is happier, him or me. :60::rainbow1:

Awww... I love this!!! :heart: I did laugh a little :D

I was shocked at how much Levi wanted to be with us. I’ve had Labs for over 20 years. And I have to say my Levi is far more engaging with us than they were. And believe me we did everything with them. But, I totally understand estimated the bond I would share w/ Levi. It’s the coolest thing ever!!

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Okay, here's one...
When I first got the Rb, there were no Forums, so I "winged it" a lot. I thought that screaming and making noise meant something was WRONG. Like with dogs and cats.
Consequently, I thought the Rb had a lot of problems. Which he did and still does, but anyway...

Hi GaleriaGila,

Ya did great!! Are you a founding member of the Forum?

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
After having budgies all of my childhood years I realise that birds do love attention and being around people. With my CAG its ridiculous how much more time and effort I need to spend with her, literally ALL of the time if she had her way. I'm not suggesting this is a negative of course but I can see that the more you put in, the more you get out.

I've always known that birds are more intelligent than people generally think, but again, i'm genuinely surprised at just how intelligent they are, especially emotionally. My family pull my leg over how I am with Enzo but after a little time around her they can see and appreciate it as well.

So in a nutshell, the dumb thing is that i've totally underestimated 'parronthood'.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Okay, here's one...

Hi GaleriaGila,

Ya did great!! Are you a founding member of the Forum?

Noooooooooooooo, Tami... I'm just a grateful late-comer.
But I'm a faithful devotee.
Love this place!

Most Reactions