Dunking food in water dish: the 30 second solution

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
From day on, we had to change Gusā€™s water several times a day because he had a habit of dropping pellets into the water. Watching him eat one day, I had an idea. (I know, you thought you smelled something burning!)

Gusā€™s food and water bowls are on the same side of the cage, on the inside, with the food bowl further to the back and the water bowl nearer the door, with the perch in between them. I saw him eat some pellets, then turn to leave the cage, dropping the uneaten pellet scraps into his bowl. It took 30 seconds to switch the positions of the bowls. Now, when he wants a drink he goes to the water dish and drinks. When he wants pellets, he eats them, and then usually turns to the door to leave, dropping any unfinished food into the cage. He hasnā€™t dropped any food in his water bowl sinc the switch!

I wonder if this is a common reason for food in the water? Parrots donā€™t wash their food like raccoons, after all. How much of it is simple ergonomics?

Last edited:

bill_e

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Dec 24, 2015
New Hampshire
Parrots
Nike a Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
It certainly could be ergonomics in some cases but my Nike dips some of her pellets in the water bowl and then eats them. Even I will dip a pellet in her water before I hand it to her, she seems to like them wet. Occasionally she drops one in the bowl by accident and yes my bowls are set up just like yours and I'd bet if I moved the water it would stay cleaner. I only change her water once a day.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Ollie dunks and I change his water like 3 or so times a day. I don't mind because it make him happiest! When we travel he even sticks his pellets under his water bottle and try to shove them into the water spout to get them wet lol. I always have to clean it well after a trip. Smart silly boy!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Probably a combination of logistics and ergonomics.

Many of my birds will moisten dry foods such as bits of dense whole grain bread for a few seconds, then eat.

adz1984

Dec 4, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine (Bella) RB2 (Unammed)
Not the case for my master dunker, I put her pellet and water bowl on opposite sides of the cage with no perches inbetween but Bella will just climb the cage bars with a pellet in her beak (harrison coarse so they're pretty big) straight to the water bowl :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The World has dunkers, droppers, and neat freaks! And, it appears that the further from the water bowl, the clearer the classification becomes. :D

MooshieBird

Dec 12, 2017
Media
Gulf Coast
Parrots
Mushka CAG 5 years old
The food and water bowls on Mushka's tree stand are on entirely different branches so she has to work to dunk her food. I still have to change it three times a day minimum. She is better at training me than I am at training her.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty = dunker, but only if he has pellets only in his cage. Other stuff is not dunked. Go figure.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Birds dunk, I've actually thought of putting a small bowl of orange juice out but...I'm worried it might slip my mind some day and it going bad. So I just let clark have it by the capfull.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Justice, our CAG, is our worst dunking offender. We added a second water dish to his cage, and he uses one for dunking, and the other for drinking. His dunking bowl gets everything dunked in there, food, toy parts...I'm so glad he keeps the other one clean, we change his dunking bowl at least 10 times a day and he usually has dunked something else before we even leave the room.

Timneh

Oct 16, 2014
Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Parrots
Greenwing macaw baby girl
Train your macaw to drink from a large glass water bottle, then you wonā€™t have anymore problems, I would recommend changing the water in the water bottle every 2-3 days and wash the bottle once a week.
Kings cages website has large 32 ounce glass water bottles.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Train your macaw to drink from a large glass water bottle, then you wonā€™t have anymore problems, I would recommend changing the water in the water bottle every 2-3 days and wash the bottle once a week.

I respectfully disagree. I don't use water bottles, but if I did they would be changed at minimum once a day and washed completely daily as well. I think our birds should always have fresh water, no matter the delivery system.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kiwi's water dish is right next to his food dish and almost never has anything in it, save the odd feather than falls in by accident. I occasionally forget some (busy) mornings because it looks fresh and later on remember I never took the dish out that AM:(

My mom's amazon has her food and water on opposite sides of the cage and will carry select for items over to dunk (so did her male when he was alive). Parrots are such individuals!

Timneh

Oct 16, 2014
Illinois, Chicago suburbs
Parrots
Greenwing macaw baby girl

I respectfully disagree. I don't use water bottles, but if I did they would be changed at minimum once a day and washed completely daily as well. I think our birds should always have fresh water, no matter the delivery system.

The glass water bottles are huge and hold a lot of water but if you can wash them once a day, it's much better for sure.
All my past parrots were trained to use the large glass bottles 32 oz.
I also provided fresh water in their cage bowl daily, they mostly used it to splash around in trying to bathe, especially in the summer.
Honestly they didn't drink as much from the bowl, they prefer to drink from the water bottle. They think the water bottle is for drinking and the water bowl is for splashing and some drinking, it's like the parrot knew drinking from the bottle is a cleaner water source.
Reason I know this is day and night from the other room you can hear when they are drinking from the water bottle and seldom see them drinking from the bowl of fresh water in the cage.
I think it's good they learn to drink from a water bottle, for medical and emergency situations and if they prefer it then they are happier too.
If I had to choose the glass bottle or a bowl I would choose the glass bottle but I like to use both. I also make sure the parrot bathes, that's really important.

A hydrated parrot is a healthier parrot.:green1:

Last edited:

JohnH

Dec 23, 2016
Parrots
Sulphur crested cockatoo
My too is a pellet dunker also.

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
I worked with a Palm cockatoo who would dip macademia nuts before cracking them! Silly thing, how could that have done anything other than make them harder to get a good grip on for cracking?

Most Reactions

Latest posts