Eclectus owners: what kind of sleeping arrangements

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
do you have for your bird(s)? Like do you cover up your birds cage at night or leave it uncovered? Do you have a nightlight in their room or is it completely dark? Is your Eclectus alone in their room or is there other birds present?

Do you notice your Eclectus sleep any during the day? I've never seen Mac sleep at all during the day, he's usually moving too much for that. Tiki my Senegal will sit every now and then during the day with her beak in her back and her eyes closed.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I don't cover my birds. They're with other birds in the same room. Radio playing all day long. Yes we have lights on timers and there's a night light I leave on every night. My birds naps during the day as well.

lpolliard

Sep 1, 2012
Media
Mission Viejo CA
Parrots
Male Eclectus ~25 years old (rescue)
I have a sleeping cage in my bedroom closet for Chico. He is put to bed between 7 & 8 PM each night and awaken around 7 AM each morning. He will not settle down in his day cage as there is too much activity down stairs. I have never caught Chico napping.

This works out great on Poker night where Chico would love to join in on the excitement with his ear piercing squawks.

Last edited:

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
I cover both of my birds at night. They have separate cages that are side by side. So I cover them both at the same time. No night light. I keep them in the closet of my office, which is just basically their play room now, and I close the curtains so its pretty dark in there. Neither of them seem to have night frights or anything. I do catch my female napping during the day, becoming very still, and closing her eyes. My male does not seem to nap at all.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Huh. Male eckies seem not to nap? We need more eckies owners commenting!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I did say my birds nap during the day, including my male and female ekkies!!! :)

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
I cover up Audrey at night, but the room is not pitch black dark, I usually leave the kitchen light on which is one room away from where she sleeps. This is for my child though, so if she gets up in the middle of the night she doesn't get scared.
She takes a nap in the afternoon usually around the same time 3 - 4 pm. :)

oregngrl1

Nov 15, 2012
My birds have separate sleeping cages in our extra bedroom. No night light. Cages are covered. After awhile they love it. They get 12 hrs uninterrupted sleep. My Congo will fly to my shoulder in the hall of its time to go to bed to remind me its that time.
I have noticed them dozing off sometimes but its not really a nap.

Last edited:

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango my red belly sleeps quite a bit during the day. I was so worried the first time I left him alone I used a web cam to monitor him from work for the first week we had him. He slept a lot while we were gone, ate, and played all day. He then gets really active and plays with us all afternoon and evening. He is strange for a bird, doesnt like to get up in the morning with us (we get up at 5am) but he also HATES going to bed. We cant put him in his night time cage unless we are going to bed or he calls and shakes the cage. After about 9:30-10:00pm though he does sleep, either on his play stand or on my tummy. He doesnt want to be put in his cage though. Once we go to bed he is fine. I cover half his cage to help him settle, and we dont leave lights on but the street lamp from outside comes through the binds enough that you can see to get around pretty well. Needless to say he likes his sleep, but he is still a baby. He is only 8.5 months.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
WOW, Mac must really be unusual. He NEVER naps or even closes his eyes during the day. My Senegal on the other hand will sit with her beak in her back several times during the day when it's quiet.

The reason why I'm curious is because night time is when Mac chews and overpreens his feathers in stead of sleeping. So It seems he doesn't sleep much or need much sleep.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
WOW, Mac must really be unusual. He NEVER naps or even closes his eyes during the day. My Senegal on the other hand will sit with her beak in her back several times during the day when it's quiet.

The reason why I'm curious is because night time is when Mac chews and overpreens his feathers in stead of sleeping. So It seems he doesn't sleep much or need much sleep.

How old is he? Mango slept all the time when I first got him. When I asked the vet she said that they sleep more when they are young, and that the stress of the move could make him tired. He sleeps less now during the day, although I dont stalk him with the webcam any more :). Do you leave him alone at all during the day? Its possible he sleeps when you arent around? Also, if you dont cover his cage, perhaps he is in an exciting place in the house or something and isnt able to settle at night? He could just be quirky!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
He might be napping at times your not watching him. I just catch glimpses of them napping every so often so I know they nap. IF I'm home, I'm in and out of the bird room all day long. We spend more time with the dogs yes, but when I put them outside to run, I take that time to spend with my birds. Sometimes I leave the dogs outside if it's nice out then me and the birds have a long periods of time together.

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
Our birds are in our livingroom, they sleep there too. I shut the lights off around 10 and they don't get covered. The monitor for our security cams is in there so its not completely dark, but they go black and white after dark so not really bright

All 3 nap during the day

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
He might be napping at times your not watching him. I just catch glimpses of them napping every so often so I know they nap. IF I'm home, I'm in and out of the bird room all day long. We spend more time with the dogs yes, but when I put them outside to run, I take that time to spend with my birds. Sometimes I leave the dogs outside if it's nice out then me and the birds have a long periods of time together.

No, Mac is usually with me or on me most if not all day. He's 4 years old. If he were napping during the day, I would catch him at some point.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I wonder since he's spending so much time with you if that's part of the reason why he over greens his feathers so badly? I know mine gets upset or frustrated when he is trying to mate with me on my shoulders that I had to back off from having him on my shoulders cause he just won't quit....

kesma

Aug 29, 2012
Media
Texas
Parrots
Kokomo: Eclectus boy
Kokomo (8 year old boy) does not nap. I cover him at night - usually around 8:00. He wakes at around 8:00am and if we haven't uncovered him yet, he starts saying, "Hello Kokomo!"

oregngrl1

Nov 15, 2012
I have sleeping cages for my three birds. Very dark in there and they are covered. They get 12 hours of sleep at night, usually around 6:30 pm this time of year and up at 6:30 in the morning. If they nap it is not for long an not always. I like the separate room, firm believer in the 12 hour schedule and quiet time away from TV and noise.

OP
mtdoramike

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
I wonder since he's spending so much time with you if that's part of the reason why he over greens his feathers so badly? I know mine gets upset or frustrated when he is trying to mate with me on my shoulders that I had to back off from having him on my shoulders cause he just won't quit....

I don't know, but that is something to consider. I know Mac looks at me as his flock leader and will pass most people by when he's out of his cage walking around the house looking for me. But one person, he will throw
me under the bus for is my 28 year old daughter. When she comes over, Mac gets all giddy and starts screaming like a little girl and goes straight towards her. If she ignores him, he will grabs her pants leg and start climbing up her pants. She came by last night after the birds went to bed and eventhough mac was in the Back room with the door closed, as soon as he heard her voice, he started screaming until she went in and said hello.

Now, Mac has never tried to mate with me, my wife on the other hand, he will constantly try to mate with her hand every time he is on her shoulder. She has gotten to where she will not hold Mac and leaves him mainly to me to deal with.

Yes, I put Mac to bed around 7:00pm and he gets up around 7:00am and by the time bedtime rolls around, I need some alone time because I usually have either Mac or Tiki on me or with me most of the day. I even take them out in the travel cages when I'm working outside and keep them in sight since we do have snakes here in Florida.

Trina

Jun 23, 2012
Nashville tn
Parrots
Screech - Sun Conure
Gitana - Eclectus
I dont cover my girl, she just doesnt like it. She was covered and kept outside daily by her previous owner she will attact a sheet put over her cage so i dont do it as it puts her in a bad mood. I leave no lights on its lights out at 9pm for her. She will nap in the daytime.

Most Reactions

Latest posts