Eclectus scream

Mshak

Sep 10, 2023
Parrots
male and female Eclectus
Dear All
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but just joined this forum to get some help regarding my screaming eclectus. I've searched the forum on ways to ease the creaming of my eclectus but didn't find much
We have had him for about 5 months, he is 9 months old. we also have a female ekkie a few months older than him. she is the quiet one
I feed him bucktons no 1 parrot food , nutri berries and fresh fruits and veggies on skewers on daily basis
Lately, his screaming is a lot on a regular basis and is annoying the whole family.
any help is much appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_9697.MOV
    6.8 MB

Keatz

Jan 5, 2016
Australia
Parrots
Oscar (eclectus)
Basil (Amazon)
Hi. In that clip, he looks like he's actually enjoying it. :)
It sounds like you have his diet right. Is his cage in an area where he gets enough sleep? I put mine in a bedroom with blockout curtains and give him ten to twelve hours a night.
I think the females are supposed to be quieter than the males. Often it depends on the individual. Mine can be quite vocal. Some days, he never shuts up.
Has he been making the noises for long? It could be because he is young. It could have something to do with how he was weened. If they are not weened correctly, they can have issues, such as noise. He might grow out of it.
Some people can train parrots to be less noisy through positive reinforcement. Give him a treat when he's quiet, and when he's noisy, ignore him (as hard as it can be).
Other than all that, I don't know what else you can do.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I’ve never had experiences with Eclectus parrots, but I taught my Quaker parrot to “talk softly.” When he really gets screaming, I will say, in a very soft voice; “JJ, talk softly please.” As soon as he makes a quieter sound, I say, “yes! Good softly .” If you have a food motivated bird, you could feed him a treat too. It took months of work but JJ is much better than he used to be and he definitely knows what “talk softly “ means now.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have an adult male eclectus parrot. He screams for a variety of reasons. He wants to be held, he wants out of his cage, his food bowl is empty, my husband is in sight (he also gestures in this case). The top 2 are he wants to be held, or my husband is in sight. Usually if I just let him sit on my hand, or shoulder for a bit he stops screaming for quite sometime. The screaming will vary in reasons depending on your parrot.

s_car_go

Jan 19, 2016
Houston Tx
Parrots
M&F Eclectus (Rainbeau & Ruby), B&G Macaw (Lulu Bell), and Hyacinth (Harley)
He wants something. Your mission if you choose to accept it is to find out what it is and give it to him.

After all he owns you now.

Thebrave

May 8, 2018
Maybe give him more toys and foraging options? His cage looks spacious, and the diet seems fine. He may just need something to keep his beak busy. Training "talk softly/nicely" is a good idea too. I had a hahns that would scream if I left the room, and though it was hard and annoying, my family tuned it out well enough (TV got louder, and they're mostly hard of hearing unless it's a topic they're all about) for me to be able to train him by only going back and giving attention once he was quiet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts