Egg bound parakeet medicine

Missybrake

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Theoette
My parakeet was egg bound last night. The egg was almost all the way out . I got it all out. Gently pushed her insides back in. We do not have a bird bet around. She has stayed warm and hydrated with a syringe. Does she need to be on meds?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Do you have a vet who will see poultry? It’s not as good as a CAV, but this sounds like an emergency. When they experience cloacal prolapse they need warmth, fluids, and antibiotics to prevent infection - but they also need to be examined to be sure they won’t prolapse again from strain, and to recieve a bird safe broad spectrum antibiotic. Poultry vets do deal with cloacal prolapse as poultry are prolific layers, and it would be better than nothing.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
My parakeet was egg bound last night. The egg was almost all the way out . I got it all out. Gently pushed her insides back in. We do not have a bird bet around. She has stayed warm and hydrated with a syringe. Does she need to be on meds?
I'm so happy to hear that she successful passed the egg. Egg binding is a horribly painful way for a bird to die. Please try to get your little girl seen by a vet, even a poultry vet as @ravvlet suggests.

Most Reactions