Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey guys, I’m curious about Tony (Quaker) and Tom (GCC) weights, I feel that Tom is too heavy and Tony is too light?

They have consistent weights, I weigh them almost daily, Tom is 78-80g before breakfast and after he poops.
I’ve just read that’s too heavy for a GCC? He’s sooo active, flys around and plays all day, I can feel his keel and it sticks out a little, how it’s supposed to .

The Tony is 102-104g, I’ve read Quakers normal weight is 100-150g? How can the range be so large?
Tony doesn’t pig out like Tom though, he’s pretty active but not like Tom, though, I don’t expect him to be.

What do your guys GCC and Quakers weigh?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My Quaker is his adult weight according to my vet and he's right around 90g. He's blue so smaller than a wild green would be - but my vet said even green Quakers in captivity are trending smaller now.

Both Cotton and Ope are visibly smaller compared to others of their species, but their actual body condition is excellent on vet exams - keel isn't too prominent and they have good musculature.

I think there's such a wide range of what is "normal" that we have to make sure they're a good weight based on a vet exam, then use that as our base for comparison.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
@Cottonoid above, exactly! What's considered "normal" weight for a given species is somewhat irrelevant. The important part is what's normal and healthy for your individual birds, regardless of where that lands on the average range.

Something else to consider is activity level. An active, flighted bird will weigh more than a similarly sized perch potato simply because muscle mass is more dense- heavier than the same volume of flab.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My Quaker is his adult weight according to my vet and he's right around 90g. He's blue so smaller than a wild green would be - but my vet said even green Quakers in captivity are trending smaller now.

Both Cotton and Ope are visibly smaller compared to others of their species, but their actual body condition is excellent on vet exams - keel isn't too prominent and they have good musculature.

I think there's such a wide range of what is "normal" that we have to make sure they're a good weight based on a vet exam, then use that as our base for comparison.
Aww just 90g! And I thought Tony was a little guy!
When Tom went to the vet the other day, he said his body condition was good, he didn’t weigh him though.
I’ve heard that color mutation Quaker’s that aren’t green tend to be lighter.
@Cottonoid above, exactly! What's considered "normal" weight for a given species is somewhat irrelevant. The important part is what's normal and healthy for your individual birds, regardless of where that lands on the average range.

Something else to consider is activity level. An active, flighted bird will weigh more than a similarly sized perch potato simply because muscle mass is more dense- heavier than the same volume of flab.
Tom would certainly have defined muscles, he’s too good at flight training 😅
Tony is less active but he has his moments, or rather days.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I alway consider the weight as suggested weight. Think bell shaped curve, so there are going to be examples on either side. While not a Quaker, he is on the high side for his species, but he's strapping young rooster. I've met other YSA that were much smaller.

Most Reactions

Latest posts