Ekkie body language

ChuytheEkkie

Jul 27, 2013
Houston TX
Parrots
Chuy - SI Eclectus born 3/18/13 :)
I'm a new Eclectus owner and this is my first "big bird" I've ever owned. I have had Conures in the past and this has been a BIG change for me. Chuy has been with me for about a month and I feel like we are still getting to know each other. He knows how to step up (even though he plays dumb at times and I have to pull a foot up for him at times) and seems to be pretty docile.

The hardest thing for me to understand as a new Eclectus owner is body language. It's a lot different than conures and other big birds for that matter! Here are two instances where I'm like ??? :

1.) When I get him out of his cage and put him on top. He does a little skip/waddle type trot when he's up there. He puts his head down and the feathers on his back between his wings raise up almost making him look hunch backed? It lasts a few seconds and then he proceeds to get into trouble and start messing with my mini-blinds. I'm guessing this is excitement?? Like a "Woohoo!! I'm out!!" type thing?? Normally if you look up "raised feathers" most people say aggression, but he doesn't look like it.

Here's a example of what this hunch back ruffle looks like (at :4 and :22). This is not my bird but it's the same feather ruffle! This is happiness and excitement, right?! : [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWd8VkDIid8"]Eclectus Dancing - Mumbles - YouTube[/ame]

P.S. - I love it when he does this so I hope it doesn't mean he feels threatened for something! :09:

2.) Petting ... I will go to pet him and sometimes he will "beak me" like, "woah woah woah...what are you doing?" Not hard, just like he stops the petting and then inspects my finger in his beak, gives it a firm but not hard squeeze, and then normally gets distracted and tries to pull off my ring or climb up on my hand. Is this just the Eclectus personality? Or a baby get-to-know-you kinda thing? I know they are not big on wrestling/rough play but I thought he would at least like a good scratch, pet, or cuddle every once in a while. :rolleyes: Should I keep pushing for some luvin' or back off at this sign?

Thanks for the input!

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Yes, it's excitement, not aggression. When ekkies are upset or scared, they freeze.
Always back off when a bird stops you from doing anything even if it's something we think he should like.

OP
ChuytheEkkie

ChuytheEkkie

Jul 27, 2013
Houston TX
Parrots
Thanks, Pajarita!! I love it when he does that hunch back skip so I'm thrilled that it's happiness. :) He must really love skipping around on top of his cage! LOL

Guess that answers my question of whether or not to buy a play top cage for his new cage!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'll be able to answer more of your questions once I get on my home computer where I can view your video..

OP
ChuytheEkkie

ChuytheEkkie

Jul 27, 2013
Houston TX
Parrots
That looks like a happy bird to me! Makes ME want to dance! I always back of when Maui gives me an annoyed honk.

Yes... I love that video. So cute! :)

Ok, I will back off when Chuy gives me a squeeze! I wasn't sure if it was curiosity or "leave me alone"... I guess it's "hands off the goods, lady!" LOL

jroyal

Jul 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Parrots
Female SI eclectus parrot
Male/female budgies
Komorner tumbler pigeon
The hunch back thing is definitely excitement. Lulu does that whenever we give her apple slices...

Ekkies are a little difficult when stepping up.. It's like they have to really think about it first.. Whenever lulu doesn't step up I leave her alone and try again in a minute or two and she usually steps up

Most Reactions