Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
Read a few negative comments about ekkies and pellets, is all this negativity include vetafarm paradise pellets for ekkies

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

I recommend you read through our Eclectus diet threads here, especially the top two threads:

Though I don’t own an Ekkie, I read through the ingredients and based on them, I wouldn’t feed them. Though they dont have any artificial colors, the first three ingredients are corn, soy, and wheat, which are ingredients that shouldnt be a large part of any parrots diet. It also contains artificial vitamins which negatively affect Ekkies.

What ever percentage of his diet is pellets could be filled instead with chop/sprouts/herbs/flowers etc.

OP
Steve rizzon

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
I do it about 10% pellets,50%fruit 40% veg, with few different nuts, but I'll read through some alternatives to paradise pellets and hopefully get on the right track, I just want what is best for my birds, I don't know any breeders or bird people with exotics so I rely on people as yourself in forums with helpful knowledge to share,thankyou so much :)

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I do it about 10% pellets,50%fruit 40% veg, with few different nuts, but I'll read through some alternatives to paradise pellets and hopefully get on the right track, I just want what is best for my birds, I don't know any breeders or bird people with exotics so I rely on people as yourself in forums with helpful knowledge to share,thankyou so much :)
While I can’t say if those percentages of your Ekkies diets is right, I can recommend TOPs pellets.
Much harder to get ahold of pellets would be Origins Wild Diet but those are pretty expensive compared to TOPs.

That’s what parrot forums is all about! Sharing knowledge! Also, thank you! ❤️

OP
Steve rizzon

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
I'll check them out and see how they go :)
Appreciated :)

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Read a few negative comments about ekkies and pellets, is all this negativity include vetafarm paradise pellets for ekkies
Some ekkies have allergies to the ingredients in pellets. Not all but some. Some people don't feed them pellets at all. I was told one of the main things you wanted to make sure pellets for ekkies didn't have was spirulina. Others will warn about corn and soy.

Honestly, I think feeding your ekkie is a lot like feeding your children. What works for one may not work for another. I keep a daily log of what mine eats including the ingredients in it, so that should she ever start toe tapping, wing flapping, screaming constantly, or feather plucking. I can try to narrow down what is causing it.

I personally do and would suggest feeding more vegetables than fruit. I feed mine about 70 percent vegetables a day. Fruit causes my girl to be extremely hormonal. So she doesn't get fruit but a couple of times a week. I feed bird bistro as a base and add fresh veggies before serving. I also feed sprouts, dry vegetables with a little fruit from golden feast, tops birdie bread that I pack full of vegetables, products from phoenix foraging rolls, almonds as treats, and occasionally she gets a nutri-berry due to her sibling having dropped his.

I will say this and it may be controversial but as time goes by I debate whether any bird should even have pellets. The bird world was sold pellets as the be all and end all of issues suck as plucking, but for me I feel like we may have been bamboozled by pet food companies. My amazon is not a fan of pellets and would rather eat sprouts, fresh veggies, phoenix foraging rolls, high quality seed, and bird bistro. Really the only pellet so to speak that he will eat is a nutri-berry. He came to me in rough shape, but he is currently molting and his new feathers that are coming in are amazing.

Last time he had blood work done, everything was spot on so unless at some point that changes. I will be sticking with feeding more fresh food that isn't highly processed for all of my parrots.

OP
Steve rizzon

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies
Thanks for your response, tbh I don't like feeding processed foods to my birds either and yess mine love sprouts, I mean like with my ekkies, they are in great feather, looking healthy,act healthy, not grumpy and hormonal, they are going pretty good and I cannot see any sign of anything I should be concerned about, but as soon as I seen heaps of people saying don't feed pellets to ekkies I was pretty concerned because mine love their vetafarm Paradise pellets,I'll also be welcoming a new b&g macaw home today and I cannot wait, I could hardly sleep last night 😂 I was certain I was going to dream about a macaw last night but my sleep wasn't that good 😂

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
Hello I have learned form readingthe forum that Tops is a very good pellet for Eclectus :) My guy will eat them when he feels like it (and i think that is good). One day he may eat more than the day before. Lately after his dinner ends at 6 pm he may walk up to his daytime cage and eat pellets for about 2o to 30 minutes:) I leave small quantity of Tops pellets in his day time / play cage:) I inspect his poop and pee everyday and it is consistent and healthy :) I used buy the Tops Pellets on amazon but they seem to be out of stock often. I went to the Tops web site and purchased 2 - 4lb bags for $50 (a good price:)

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_144012974_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210828_144012974_HDR.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 24

AZAnnie

May 18, 2023
Parrots
Male Eclectus Parrot
Male Green Cheeked Yellow Sided Conure
Turquoise Conure
Hello I have learned form readingthe forum that Tops is a very good pellet for Eclectus :) My guy will eat them when he feels like it (and i think that is good). One day he may eat more than the day before. Lately after his dinner ends at 6 pm he may walk up to his daytime cage and eat pellets for about 2o to 30 minutes:) I leave small quantity of Tops pellets in his day time / play cage:) I inspect his poop and pee everyday and it is consistent and healthy :) I used buy the Tops Pellets on amazon but they seem to be out of stock often. I went to the Tops web site and purchased 2 - 4lb bags for $50 (a good price:)
I just purchased the TOPS pellets and couldn't get them on Amazon either. My boy, Celery doesn't care for pellets at all, but I like to have something for him to munch on between his three fresh meals a day. I offered him one of the TOPS pellets and he seemed to really like it. He's a bit of a moody eater though--likes it for a while then goes off it completely. Hope the TOPS works out for you too!

azflcowboy

Oct 20, 2022
Parrots
Solomon Island Eclectus (Male)
I just purchased the TOPS pellets and couldn't get them on Amazon either. My boy, Celery doesn't care for pellets at all, but I like to have something for him to munch on between his three fresh meals a day. I offered him one of the TOPS pellets and he seemed to really like it. He's a bit of a moody eater though--likes it for a while then goes off it completely. Hope the TOPS works out for you too!
Hello My guy Moses loves his Topp's, i see amazon did not have them I got a better deal from the Topps Website :) i Ordered 2 bags as they stay well. Somedays Moses eats more Topps than usual I know like me he has his moods and most of the time like me he is always in a good mood. We leave the topps in his daytime play cage which is also his sleeping in our bedroom night cage :) He has been our family since he was a baby now going on 4 years :) Try the Topps Web site :)

4 lb. Large Pellet Two-Pack (includes shipping) $50​

Attachments

• IMG_20191025_080546.jpg
    IMG_20191025_080546.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 9

Most Reactions

Latest posts