Need Advice on Purchasing Eclectus

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
Hi, I'm trying to purchase an Eclectus but no local bird shops have it. I did find a guy on Craigslist selling a 2 yr old one that's not tamed for $2.2k. I've also tried BirdsNow and Birdbreeders.com but too many scammers on there and hard to tell which one is real.
How much does an Eclectus go for on average? I see prices ranging mostly from $3000-$4000. I'm in Northern California. Does anyone know where else I can buy one from a reputable breeder or shop?

Thanks

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Do you have any rescue organizations nearby? There's so many birds out there that deserve the chance for a loving forever home. Maybe true that some of them have "baggage" but many do not. So many wind up being cast aside when they hit puberty and they lose control of their behavior for a while. It's not their fault, but people are unprepared or unwilling to look past that. Most rescues give you the opportunity to really spend time with the birds, in fact many require it to make sure you and the bird are a good fit, so they're much less likely to be rehomed yet again. Finding one that choses you tends to negate many of the issues from their past life. All of mine, with the exception of the budgies I had as a kid, have been rescues/rehomes. They so worth it. :)

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
There is one nearby but they don't have what I want which is something more chill and smaller since my nephews visit daily and they're 1-6 years old and have a dog. Most of the ones available are not kids and dog friendly. So I didn't want to take the risk since they're mostly 8-15 years old and not sure if they can adapt to that environment.🥲

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hmmm, might still be worth visiting. Curious, what about ekkies specifically draws you to them? Not to discourage you, I adore them myself, but just wondering if you're set on them, or would be open to other species? An ekkie was never on my radar, in fact I had never heard of them when I met my first one. He was also a plucker, which I also knew nothing about, but I met him, and he quickly became my best friend. I had to do a ton of research about them before I was comfortable with bringing him home.

So I'm just saying that an open mind brings possibilities that you might not have considered. I'd also be less concerned about the age. 8-15 in the land of medium to larger parrots is still quite young. My latest addition to the family is a CAG who's somewhere between 30 and 50, and he's just an amazing little guy. Fit right in to my home with an ekkie, a YNA, 3 dogs, and young grandkids on the weekends. If it's the right one, they'll very likely adapt to a new home and life with people who love them. Anything is possible. :)

Oh, what are you looking for in terms of kid and dog friendly? My flock is fine with the dogs, but I don't allow direct interaction. It's just not safe. The best mannered dog that gets a little curious can still quickly kill a bird. As for the kids, the birds are not in reach when my grandkids are over. They're kids, so it's a matter of teaching them how best to behave around the birds, like, don't agitate them, stick your fingers in their face, etc. Everyone gets bitten once in a while, we just try to make sure it's not a little one with delicate fingers and feelings, you know?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you have an 'Avian Vet' near you? Mid-large Parrots need Avian Vet care as the common dog and cat Vet has zero interest in Parrots.

You have a want for a unique Parrot that because of their species highly specialized region that originated from, requires an equally unique diet, which off-season is expensive.

My good friend, above, has commented on the dangers of dogs and kids around Parrots. Whether a young Parrot or one with experience this is rarely a safe combination for everyone.

Inexperienced individuals bringing a mid-large Parrot into their home are commonly overwhelmed by the up-front costs of the Parrot, the much higher costs of a cage, then there are the much needed toys in which they make into tiny bits, plus the costs of a quality diet that includes a wide assortment of fresh foods, fresh veggies and fruits. Eclectus diet rarely include more than just a bit of pellets.

In addition, they require one-on-one time as they are very intelligent.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I think you’d be surprised at how well a rescue can adapt, but would also encourage you to not be set on a certain species and just focus on finding a bird whose personality really works for your home.

Never in a million years would I have thought an Amazon would work in our house - we have dogs and kids too. But our guy likes everybody, is happy to get pets from the kids while also firm about his boundaries, and has just really fit in great with us. It’s entirely possible you can find an eclectus who will work for your house, and you can always go the baby bird route, but $4,000 is pretty standard for eclectus here in the Pacific Northwest.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I would say $3000 to $4000 seems to be standard for an ekkie and I am in Texas. I originally wanted an African grey, but she stole my heart. I also have a rescue amazon and I love him just as much. He has grown on me in ways I originally didn't think possible. He has brought me a great deal of pride and accomplishment in the 8 months that I have had him. So please don't discount other birds as all are individual and what you think you want may not be the right fit after all. There are so many great parrots out there if you have an open heart!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Do not use paypal or zello etc. use square trade or credit card. If your scammed those other companies will NOT protect you. Insist on credit card if possible, they will protect you the others will not.

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
Got it, thank you for all the advice and I will look into all those options. Thanks!

Gary Davis

Feb 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
African grays (Congo),Solomon Island Eclectus'
Hi, I'm trying to purchase an Eclectus but no local bird shops have it. I did find a guy on Craigslist selling a 2 yr old one that's not tamed for $2.2k. I've also tried BirdsNow and Birdbreeders.com but too many scammers on there and hard to tell which one is real.
How much does an Eclectus go for on average? I see prices ranging mostly from $3000-$4000. I'm in Northern California. Does anyone know where else I can buy one from a reputable breeder or shop?

Thanks
Yes ask for Lily, SoleySolomon.co. She is totally legit out of Beaumont Texas and been breeding Solomon Island eclectuses since 1998 a very sweet lady. She will ship to you. Look her up on her website talk to her contact information Etc. Good luck.

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
I talked to her earlier this week and she was asking for $4200 which is out of my budget. So I will see if anyone closer is more affordable. I'm going to a bird expo today and they said they will have eclectus there so I will find out how much in a bit. Thank you

Gary Davis

Feb 19, 2023
Media
Parrots
African grays (Congo),Solomon Island Eclectus'
I talked to her earlier this week and she was asking for $4200 which is out of my budget. So I will see if anyone closer is more affordable. I'm going to a bird expo today and they said they will have eclectus there so I will find out how much in a bit. Thank you
I wish you luck at the Expo, I absolutely love going to them! Let's see pictures of the babies if you get one?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We got our ekkie from Kijiji 10 years ago for $1800 including his cage, play stand and lots of toys. He was between 18 months and 2 years old.

I'd wanted an ekkie for 25 years and was thrilled when I was at the point where could properly care for one. He is a sweetheart, with a really calm personality.
I hope you have good luck at the Expo!

Steve rizzon

Jun 19, 2023
Media
Australia
Parrots
Eclectus parrots
Amazon parrots
Macaws
Cockatiels
Budgies

Thanks
Damn they are expensive in America, can get them for about 700 here in Australia, I just got a hen for 400, her feathering wasn't great, she's coming back to good health with a proper diet now.

OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
I wish you luck at the Expo, I absolutely love going to them! Let's see pictures of the babies if you get one?
Took some photos today, and they asked for $3800 for a 4 year old male ekkie. For some reason, I felt like some parrots weren't in good shape. Many of them had feather loss but not sure if it's from plucking.

Attachments

• 20230716_111901.jpg
    20230716_111901.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20230716_111903.jpg
    20230716_111903.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230716_112536.jpg
    20230716_112536.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230716_113131.jpg
    20230716_113131.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 32
OP
Y

YoungJ

Jul 11, 2023
Deal :ROFLMAO: They're way more available here but still $3-4k

4thebirds2023

Jul 18, 2023
Parrots
Senegal 21 yrs old and a 2 yr old male eclectus

Thanks
Hello,
I purchased my male Solomon Island eclectus from a wonderful, knowledgeable breeder in Beaumont, Texas. She flew him by Delta Airlines to me. I live in So. California. If you contact her, you will be totally pleased with the weaned beautiful healthy baby parrot you get. I recall that I paid $4500 , but he is worth every penny. He was four months old when he arrived. The breeder hand feeds them and talks to them. She also sends you videos of the bird if he is too young to be sent to you. My "Emerald" started talking when he was close to two yrs old. He sings and talks to me. A very intelligent bird! I totally recommend Lilly at Solely Solomon Aviaries with 26 yrs experience. You can find her online under Solely Solomon Aviaries. You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

4thebirds2023

Jul 18, 2023
Parrots
Senegal 21 yrs old and a 2 yr old male eclectus
Hello,
I purchased my male Solomon Island eclectus from a wonderful, knowledgeable breeder in Beaumont, Texas. She flew him by Delta Airlines to me. I live in So. California. If you contact her, you will be totally pleased with the weaned beautiful healthy baby parrot you get. I recall that I paid $4500 , but he is worth every penny. He was four months old when he arrived. The breeder hand feeds them and talks to them. She also sends you videos of the bird if he is too young to be sent to you. My "Emerald" started talking when he was close to two yrs old. He sings and talks to me. A very intelligent bird! I totally recommend Lilly at Solely Solomon Aviaries with 26 yrs experience. She is at 409 866 5888. You can find her online under Solely Solomon Aviaries. You will not be disappointed.
I am attaching some photos of Emerald so you can see how beautiful he is.

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpeg
    IMG_0680.jpeg
    240.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0591.jpeg
    IMG_0591.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 21

Most Reactions