Elder lovebird attacking younger lovebird.

sheraz

Apr 28, 2023
Parrots
2 Love Birds
Hi everyone, I had a lovebird for 2 to 3 months. Its age would probably be 4 months. It never interacted with any other bird. It is very responsive to the birds sounds coming from outside. However it doesn’t climb to fingers and bare skin but it do sits on my shoulder and head and play with my hairs. But it bites when we touch it or try to make it sit on my finger. Now I bring another young lovebird who is probably 20 days old. When my elder lovebird saw him for the first time, it was looking excited and happy. It was putting it’s beak to my new little lovebird. But it seemed like the elder lovebird also biting the younger one and climbing on it. However I kept both separately. To conclude, now the elder lovebird suddenly grabs my younger lovebird’s leg with its beak and pulls it. It also seems to aggressively bite my younger lovebird. So I separated both of them. But when I separate them, it seems like they both want to be together but when I allow them to interact, my elder lovebird starts attacking my younger lovebird specially grabs my younger lovebird's leg so hardly and pulls it. I am confuse what to do. Should I put them in a single cage or separate cage?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hi everyone, I had a lovebird for 2 to 3 months. Its age would probably be 4 months. It never interacted with any other bird. It is very responsive to the birds sounds coming from outside. However it doesn’t climb to fingers and bare skin but it do sits on my shoulder and head and play with my hairs. But it bites when we touch it or try to make it sit on my finger. Now I bring another young lovebird who is probably 20 days old. When my elder lovebird saw him for the first time, it was looking excited and happy. It was putting it’s beak to my new little lovebird. But it seemed like the elder lovebird also biting the younger one and climbing on it. However I kept both separately. To conclude, now the elder lovebird suddenly grabs my younger lovebird’s leg with its beak and pulls it. It also seems to aggressively bite my younger lovebird. So I separated both of them. But when I separate them, it seems like they both want to be together but when I allow them to interact, my elder lovebird starts attacking my younger lovebird specially grabs my younger lovebird's leg so hardly and pulls it. I am confuse what to do. Should I put them in a single cage or separate cage?
You should separate them. Biting legs and feet is an aggressive behavior and can cause serious injury.

Most Reactions

Latest posts