HELP!

Iris227

Jun 1, 2022
Parrots
Mango - male opaline redhead lovebird; Frosty - male opaline blue whiteheaded lovebird; Muffin - wild green budgie; Cookie - lutino budgie
My lovebird, Frosty, has been scratching out his feathers from his crop and tail. His tail was pretty bloody. (Now it's just dried blood.) This has been happening for quite a while now, so we started putting the tonic that the vet recommended onto his affected areas. The tonic didn't work, so we put on some of our own: propolis. This helped tremendously. My other lovebird Mango (who was also scratching out feathers in his tail, leg, and crop area) seemed to start regrowing some of his feathers. Today, one of my relatives decided to put on some extremely excruciating cream on Frosty's affected areas. When another relative saw him, she immediately called me and asked me what was going on: I told her that my relative has put some cream on Frosty. Frosty looked so depressed... We(me and my other relative) and I tried giving him millet, he refused, flax seeds, he refused, apples, he took one bite... We tried to then wash him with SOAP as we were very distressed... Then we dried him with a towel. The stench did not go away. He then kept asking us to put him next to the infrared lamp.

What can I do?

1684319316034.jpeg

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
My lovebird, Frosty, has been scratching out his feathers from his crop and tail. His tail was pretty bloody. (Now it's just dried blood.) This has been happening for quite a while now, so we started putting the tonic that the vet recommended onto his affected areas. The tonic didn't work, so we put on some of our own: propolis. This helped tremendously. My other lovebird Mango (who was also scratching out feathers in his tail, leg, and crop area) seemed to start regrowing some of his feathers. Today, one of my relatives decided to put on some extremely excruciating cream on Frosty's affected areas. When another relative saw him, she immediately called me and asked me what was going on: I told her that my relative has put some cream on Frosty. Frosty looked so depressed... We(me and my other relative) and I tried giving him millet, he refused, flax seeds, he refused, apples, he took one bite... We tried to then wash him with SOAP as we were very distressed... Then we dried him with a towel. The stench did not go away. He then kept asking us to put him next to the infrared lamp.

What can I do?

View attachment 50503
I would stop all of the creams. Especially if they are not made for birds.

He needs to see an avian or at least exotic vet!
This could be serious.

Sorry you’ve come here under unfortunate circumstances.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I heartily agree with zERo. Stop with the all the creams and such. There should be qualified Avian Vets in the Singapore area, please get her there ASAP.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)

What can I do?

View attachment 50503
There are a number of excellent avian vets in Singapore, if indeed that is where you are located. You'll find contact and location information for them here...

I hope you can get some help for your little one, I agree with @wrench13 and @zERo that he should see a vet. I wish you all the very best for him 🙏

Most Reactions

Latest posts