Ember, The Baby Black Lorikeet

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
I looked it up... ultraviolet, that is. An online center or science education says... "Purple and violet light have shorter wavelengths than other colors of light, and ultraviolet has even shorter waves than violet does; so ultraviolet is sort of "purpler-than-purple" light or "beyond violet" light." No wonder she's so attractive... electric purple!
That is accurate. Yes in the sun, she glistens, it's hard to explain, its purple, violet and on her back its pure sapphire blue. she's so active its hard to grab photos of her at the right time and we just got 40" of snow, so she isn't seeing outside for some time. Once it warms up I will do some photos outside showing off those feathers lol

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
LMAOO

that is one awesome looking Lory! his colors are amazing
Thank you, @jessem101! Lovejoy and Ember and BOTH stunning looking birds and I bet zey vould make ze beaauuuuutiful muzik togezzerrrrrr too!!❤️‍🔥 ❤️‍🔥 ❤️‍🔥

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Rb TALK.jpg

"ALL THE HENS ARE MINE!"

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
here she is at 5 Months of age..she is now 195 Grams, still flight training and learning other tricks. her poops have slowed down a bit..not as bad as when we first got her. she is still eating dry food in the cage and fruits/nuts and some veggies outside of cage. when its warm, she gets as much sun as possible, and she seems to be doing very well.

Some of the things that has have happened was her trying to get aggressive with Manolo, our DYHA...she saw him as a threat, and I was able to grab her before he decided to defend himself. She literally has no fear, so this is something to look out for with these Lorys. she is very friendly with the Humans, but she is definitely over protective. Something I need to try and train on, as I want her to be friendly as possible so if she goes into daycare, she will be more tolerable.

She also broke 2 tail feathers, at this age they are pretty clumsy so this can happen from time to time.

She also likes to sleep upside down at times, or on the floor of cage, something to expect with Lorys...especially if you do not have a bed for them to climb into. Personally I do not want to make a hideout, as it could encourage her to lay eggs. but I make sure it's nice and clean where she wants to sleep. Normally with parrots if they sleep at the bottom of the cage, its a sign of sickness, with Lorys, they are different, you will find them sleeping in odd locations and odd positions, its like an alcoholic that came home late and didn't bother hitting the bedroom lol

She still loves to play a TON! she will dance (added a video of her playing around in the kitchen) play with toy cars, dolls, whatever it is that she wants to do in terms of playing, she's on it lol

She is growing into her own, and definitely flourishing. She also had her first molt, found a bunch of small feathers at the bottom of the cage, and her new ones are growing in nicely. in the photos you can see some new pin feathers on the side of her face..and around her neck. So it took her about 5 months to ave her first molt.

Here is a short video of her playing and some updated photos:

p3621261477-6.jpg

p3621261538-6.jpg

p3621261519-6.jpg

p3621261524-6.jpg

p3621261603-6.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
here she is at 5 Months of age..she is now 195 Grams, still flight training and learning other tricks. her poops have slowed down a bit..not as bad as when we first got her. she is still eating dry food in the cage and fruits/nuts and some veggies outside of cage. when its warm, she gets as much sun as possible, and she seems to be doing very well.

Some of the things that has have happened was her trying to get aggressive with Manolo, our DYHA...she saw him as a threat, and I was able to grab her before he decided to defend himself. She literally has no fear, so this is something to look out for with these Lorys. she is very friendly with the Humans, but she is definitely over protective. Something I need to try and train on, as I want her to be friendly as possible so if she goes into daycare, she will be more tolerable.

She also broke 2 tail feathers, at this age they are pretty clumsy so this can happen from time to time.

She also likes to sleep upside down at times, or on the floor of cage, something to expect with Lorys...especially if you do not have a bed for them to climb into. Personally I do not want to make a hideout, as it could encourage her to lay eggs. but I make sure it's nice and clean where she wants to sleep. Normally with parrots if they sleep at the bottom of the cage, its a sign of sickness, with Lorys, they are different, you will find them sleeping in odd locations and odd positions, its like an alcoholic that came home late and didn't bother hitting the bedroom lol

She still loves to play a TON! she will dance (added a video of her playing around in the kitchen) play with toy cars, dolls, whatever it is that she wants to do in terms of playing, she's on it lol

She is growing into her own, and definitely flourishing. She also had her first molt, found a bunch of small feathers at the bottom of the cage, and her new ones are growing in nicely. in the photos you can see some new pin feathers on the side of her face..and around her neck. So it took her about 5 months to ave her first molt.

Here is a short video of her playing and some updated photos:

p3621261477-6.jpg

p3621261538-6.jpg

p3621261519-6.jpg

p3621261524-6.jpg

p3621261603-6.jpg
Oh I love these pics, and the video too, SO much bouncy lory energy!! But that assertiveness you're seeing from Ember towards your Amazon does not surprise me, to the best of my knowledge pretty much all lory species are like that. Even my tiny Lovejoy would probably want to take on your DYHA, cos lorikeets do not back down!!

OP
J

jessem101

Jun 9, 2021
Oh I love these pics, and the video too, SO much bouncy lory energy!! But that assertiveness you're seeing from Ember towards your Amazon does not surprise me, to the best of my knowledge pretty much all lory species are like that. Even my tiny Lovejoy would probably want to take on your DYHA, cos lorikeets do not back down!!
Omg I believe it! They are crazy LOL at first I was like...awww she wants to give him a kiss...wrong, she was like "back up" lmao Manolo was like "what is her deal man" lmao Lory's are seriously like honey badgers lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts