!!! Emergency question !!!

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
This has not been a good week. I've been having fibromyalgia flares since last week. That lowers my immune system.

3 days ago I noticed my allergies draining. I've done everything possible and it's turned into the flu.

My Parrots live in my room!!! I'm on my way to the ER for myself due to breathing issues.

I'm terrified that I may have passed something to my Parrots!!

No one has been sick, they were all at the vet recently for wellness checks and got a full bill of health. So I doubt this is from them.

This is either a cold or pneumonia. I'll find out soon.

What's the chances my guys may get this?!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
There are actually very few diseases that can make the jump between humans and avians. More than likely, your birds will be just fine! Hope you feel better soon.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
There are actually very few diseases that can make the jump between humans and avians. More than likely, your birds will be just fine! Hope you feel better soon.

So very true!

Also:
- allergies drainage ( Not at all related to those listed below )

Viral Based
- flu
- cold
- pneumonia

Each of the above have very separate viral sources and aside from weakening the body to an attack from another, they do not have cross-over.

You Avians are safe! Get Well Quickly!!!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Right, the best thing you can do for your flock is to get better yourself .

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Get well soon.
I agree with above. Transmitting a cold/flu not very likely. Only small % of viruses can cross between humans and avian.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Fellow fibro sufferer here, have you gotten a flu shot recently? I had a bad reaction to the one this year and got horribly sick for about two weeks afterwards. It wasn't the flu but it was a horrible upper respiratory infection, I was close to going to the hospital myself and it took me about three weeks to completely get over it. Seems this is common among anyone with immune disorders or related conditions.

If you haven't gotten a flu shot, there is some other virus going around as well, not sure where you're located in PA, but no worries, there's no danger in passing any of these diseases onto your birds!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I agree with everyone above, and send you wishes for a speedy recovery!

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
Thank you everyone! Dr sent me home after a nice IV cocktail lol. No pneumonia, which is good.

I just wanted to make sure my guys were OK. I know how sensitive they are and I would have slept on the couch if I had too.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Thank you everyone! Dr sent me home after a nice IV cocktail lol. No pneumonia, which is good.

I just wanted to make sure my guys were OK. I know how sensitive they are and I would have slept on the couch if I had too.

Glad you're okay and I hope you can rest up and feel better, break out the electric blanket if you have one, it's chilly tonight!

And I could go for a cocktail myself, IV and alcoholic, lol.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
as above very little diseases affect both humans and birds. Hence why H1N1 was such an epidemic, the horrific truth is if diseases could be spread easily inter-species then none of us would be here right now

I believe there's only one other disease that can be spread from parrot to human but for the life of me cannot remember what it is, I know it's a hospitalization level disease though but it's less than 0.001% of people constantly around parrots who get it

Most Reactions

Latest posts