Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
To the OP, I think you are doing an amazing job taking care of your baby, and hope for a full recovery!

Just one more thought about giving liquid meds if you are not very experienced ...
do not "fill" / spray or push anything in the beak at all.
It something my CAVs tell everyone who is not very sure: just put the syringe to the side of the face of the bird- where the "corner of the mouth" is.
You know- where the 2 beakhalves meet and there is a fleshy part.
If you put the liquid there it will trickle (almost by osmosis or something like that) into the beak, and the bird can swallow naturally instead of being forced to swallow more than it can handle.
Cuts down on accidents and the bird feeling like it is drowning in fluids.

You just have to make sure the head is steady and you do not let go untill the beak is completely empty again.
Absolutely riskfree!

(try it with a drop of water- you'll see)

This method also was advised by my vet to try, and worked with my budgie who required meds.

And I know how to medicate a bird, lol, and when I used the word "push" on the oral syringe, I meant it as a medical term that means "give the medication" (thought that was obvious)...None of his medications call for more than 1 drop or 2 drops as the dose, so nothing is going to "trickle in" to her mouth. Simply setting the tip of the syringe into this bird's mouth is not going to get the dose into her...

Others also have experience with medicating birds, and there is value in sharing other methods.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts