Empty cage needs filling! :-)

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
Today I moved Walter into a bigger cage. Now I have a smaller empty cage that's gonna need to have an occupant. Size 22x22x32, I believe. Question is, what bird shall I get?

I already have 3 conures, so I'm considering looking into getting a different breed.

Any recommendations?

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Hmmm ! maybe a Hahns Macaw :) Im being given a cage [and Im thinking ] Oh dear I know Im going to fill it . I want another Amazon [neat birds].

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Maybe a Indian Ringneck! Or maybe a Senegal or a Meyers! :) And a Hahans Macaw is great to! :D

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
Duskies: Gizmo & Niko, hatched 3/12 & 5/12; pineapple GCC: Skittles, 5/10/13; Pan Am: Harley, 1/27/13; CAG: Maalik, 7/27/13; Eclectus: Ziggy, 4/4/04; BHC: Walter 6 y; baby Jardine's: Bogart-May!
I know. I adore our amazon, but this cage will be too small to house a zon. Walter's new cage, yes.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
did I miss something?....what happened to the Gold cap?...did you change your mind?

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
I went back to see the gold capped yesterday. After holding him for awhile, I began thinking that I'd like to explore other breeds since I already have 3 conures. I love my little conures, but find that I really connect to the personalities of my larger birds. Problem is that this vacant cage isn't big enough for a large bird.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
What about a quaker parakeet? I've heard they have large personalities in a small package :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'd recommend using the cage as a night cage, or if you ever travel, it could be a good temporary cage somewhere!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ravens, I wouldn't even recommend the use of a 22x22 cage for a cockatiel, so could not recommend putting another bird in it permanently. I don't like the use of tiny cages unless the doors are always open and the birds hardly ever in the cage!

As a temporary cage, sure, but not as a cage a bird would be spending years in, if not it's entire lifetime. As per another thread, the OP put a deposit down on a jardines, and a jardines will require a larger cage! So if the plan is to sell this cage and purchase a larger cage, then I fully support that, too!

To me, a small cage is like a studio apartment for humans. It's tiny. There's not a lot of space for anything. Ya, sure, it's livable, but you hardly have any room for furnishings or belongings. A regular to large cage is like an apartment to a normal sized house. More space for everything, thus more things that could keep you entertained while you are inside it. Aviaries would be from a large house to a mansion. The possibilities that you could do with this space skyrockets!

:)

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
I recommend you take Sophie for few weeks, Lordy I need a break from him ! He has been nuts this week ...lol. Really tho I love peach face love birdies they r so cute when I see them on the forums.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ravens, I wouldn't even recommend the use of a 22x22 cage for a cockatiel, so could not recommend putting another bird in it permanently. I don't like the use of tiny cages unless the doors are always open and the birds hardly ever in the cage.

Hi Monica :) I totally hear you about size of a cage. Robin has lived in his 20x24 for about 19 years now, and it's his comfort zone. When I'm home he always has the door open. Still, a good part of the time he chooses to stay inside. He's sort of a perch potato.
A larger cage is great (provided it has appropriate size bar spacing), an aviary is even better! Especially for a more active species - then it's absolutely mandatory.
If they're getting a Jardine's, I agree definitely larger cage. :)

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
That's a very helpful chart, Abigal7. Looks like it's even too small for my little GCC. However he seems quite happy with his cage.

CrazyEyes

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2014
Florida
Parrots
Tikki-Mustache Parakeet, Beaker-Sun Conure, Bongo-B&G Macaw
i wish you were closer. the local sanctuary that i support has a wonderful quaker named Charley that needs a forever home.

OP
Gizmomania

Gizmomania

Banned
Banned
Aug 25, 2012
San Diego
Parrots
LOL! I already have a caique: it's Walter (Heisenberg)! He's the one who just won himself this bigger cage, and he LOVES it!

Crazy Eyes, do they ever ship their orphans? Just askin'.

Most Reactions