Escape

mistyzip

Feb 25, 2012
Well I was out doing the dishes in the kitchen tonight and I turned around and there was my little lovie :rainbow1: Louie staring at me! Scared the crap out of me. He some how jimmied the door where his water bowl was on open and decided to have a wander! Since I've only had him less than a week and he's not super comfortable with me I had a heck of a time getting him back into his cage... I had to throw a dish towel over him and scoop him up that way..since he won't let me pick him up... I've now tied a shoe lace on the door and looped it real well. Hopefully that will keep him in!

Well, what an interesting way to end the night.. :D

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
Aren't they clever little mechanics? One of the first days I had Pepper here, I walked into the room in the morning and she was out sitting on the back of a chair! She stepped up for me and I put her back in her cage and grabbed her water bowl to change it. As I was walking out of the room she said "Let's get outta here!" That comment definately floored me! haha! It turns out it's one of her favorite phrases, and she says it anytime she wants out of her cage. I bought a stainless steel clip to put on the door after that.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Yes, I would get a stainless steel clip as well. He will untie or chew up the shoelace. They are very good at untying knots, even big ones. You don't want him to accidentally fly out the door or something because no one knew he was out.

OP
M

mistyzip

Feb 25, 2012
I will be getting a stainless steel clip today! I didn't have anything last night and it was bed time so all I could come up with was a shoe lace! But I see how thats not a good idea! Would it be a good idea for me to let little Louie out to have a roam on his own? Or should I wait till he's comfortable with me and will step up, on a wooden dowl at least for me to start letting him out of his cage?

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Sit by his cage, chatter to him sing, poke treats through his bars. When he seems quite comfortable with you (even if not stepping up) then I'd let him out and just leave him alone to do his own exploring. If he flies to you (or anyone) slow offer him a treat or sing to him. Just make sure he knows where his food and water is (and you wouldn't have to leave in a hurry) he'll go back when he's hungry. :)

I've found all my small birds have favoured me when doing this, they seemed to appreciate that I'd leave them alone but if they did come to me I'd give them a treat :)

OP
M

mistyzip

Feb 25, 2012
Thanks Mayden! I think he is comfortable with me..well I assume this by me being able to feed him sunflower seeds by hand, and me being able to put my hand in the cage and feed him millet by hand... I sit by the cage and he comes up to me and stares at me... Only time he seems to freak out is if we go to reach for him. He's terrified of being grabbed... Maybe I will let him out for a wander today. He must want to if he's trying to break out of the cage.... I just worry that he'd get stuck somewhere...like behind the TV stand or go under the couch...

How have you dealt with stuff like that when you let your little birds out?

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
One time Bob fell behind a heavy desk. It had a solid back and was only about 4 in. from the wall. I took a cable and lowered it in a "U" shape to Bob. She got on it and came right out.

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
You definitely need to supervise. They can chew up furniture, the computer, your couch, whatever strikes their fancy, lol! I admit it probably helps when the bird steps up and is used to you and your house. At least if one of mine ends up hanging from a picture frame or something I can walk up and get it before it eats it, lol!

If you have ceiling fans make sure they are off. Also leave lids down on toilets or close bathroom doors. Birds can and do drown wanting a bath and not being able to get out. Watch as well for them with boiling water or sauces on the stove top and dishes soaking in a sink. They don't know water is hot, or that they might fly in and not be able to get out again.

Especially watch for them chewing electric cords! I don't like my birds on the floor just in case I should accidentally step on one or shut it in a door. Mine are also hormonally mature and might try to get under furniture or other dark areas and not want to come back out.

Porter_Nibbler

Apr 3, 2012
Bucks County, PA
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebirds
Porter and Nibbler
My one lovebird porter will perch on my arm now, but not my fingers unless i have millet pinched between them lol. I use a corn husk broom to get my lovebirds back into the cage. i just hold it in front of them when they are perched up on the ceiling or another high up area and they hop down onto it the i swing them over to their cage where its a 50/50 chance of them going in or flying back to where i just got them from lol. They aren't afraid or bothered by it at all.

Most Reactions

Latest posts