RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Just to clarify: no, this is not my pet alex. But for a while now I've seen on rare occasion an alexandrine, first sighting was about year ago. Just saw him again this morning before he flew off, and it's not a native bird. I've attached an image of the bird from when my sister spotted it on the way home. I've looked online in my area before and now but nobody has posted about their missing Alex in my area.

I really want to try and catch it, but I'm unsure how. For him to be living that long clearly he has learned to survive in the wild, which most escaped parrots aren't as successful. I want to set up a bird feeder, but I'm unsure how effective that'd be or if he would even notice. Any ideas?

Attachments

• alex.jpg
    alex.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 25

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
You could certainly leave a cage outside with some food in it. If nothing else maybe it will help keep him fed. Poor guy 😞

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Would help if you knew what he's been eating to stay alive over winter in S. Wales. To survive against local competition, he must be eating a pretty poor diet. If, in example, S. Wales was lousy with Bobbed Wood Tits and they are eating all the local high value foraging items, the ringneck gets stuck eating the poor ones. If you offered a similarly high value food, like the tits are getting, you might entice him more.

Last edited:
OP
RingneckRave

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

You could certainly leave a cage outside with some food in it. If nothing else maybe it will help keep him fed. Poor guy 😞
Update: I saw him again today. I followed him around with millet but no luck, eventually I couldn't find him. He was staring at me but didn't want to fly down.

I'd love to try the idea you suggested but there are a lot of cats here that may fancy a snack so it's hard to know if it's more of a risk to the native birds than it's worth catching this alex.

He's been around for a while so I doubt he'll be gone anytime soon, he's found a way to survive somehow, so I've got plenty of time to try and catch him just boils down to it actually happening.

OP
RingneckRave

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Update: I saw him again today. I followed him around with millet but no luck, eventually I couldn't find him. He was staring at me but didn't want to fly down.

I'd love to try the idea you suggested but there are a lot of cats here that may fancy a snack so it's hard to know if it's more of a risk to the native birds than it's worth catching this alex.

He's been around for a while so I doubt he'll be gone anytime soon, he's found a way to survive somehow, so I've got plenty of time to try and catch him just boils down to it actually happening.
Update, haven't seen him since

Most Reactions

Latest posts