psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
I brought my Quaker home knowing their reputation for being little escape artists. She just turned one at the beginning of July, and she is definitely coming into her own... meaning she is pursuing her destined career as an escape artist. I don't think the problem is that I'm not letting her out enough because 1. she gets to fly around and play outside of the cage for a couple hours every day, and 2. half the time when she's actively doing this, I wait a bit after she stops, try to let her out, and she's not interested at all. She just wants the satisfaction of doing it herself!

We've tried several types of latches and I'm looking at some that will be more failsafe than the others. I think I have some promising prospects, recommended to me from a friend who is a long time bird owner, who has also had this problem. So I think these are some promising options.

My question for you all: do you have a bird who has also taken to this kind of behavior, and more specifically, are there any toys that might mimic the activity of trying to break out? I know that part of it is the fact that the latches are shiny, and she likes to frolic about while carrying the bigger ones. She already has little shiny toys that she can do the same with, so she may be getting confused, BUT... it's also not lost on me that this behavior is appealing to her because she knows she's not supposed to be doing it. So maybe a new toy won't help, but it's worth a try!

Currently she has a rope toy, two puzzle toys that I swap for each other often, a ladder, a hanging coconut bowl that I put her food in, a chain with beads, a big foraging toy (her hatch day gift, which is her current fixation), and a few little trinket type toys like beads, spiky rubber balls, and wooden blocks from one of her puzzle toys. Any ideas for enrichment to help quell her escapee behavior would be much appreciated!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Quakers are nest builders, in the wild they have huge nests like caves that have a community of birds. I saw a video on youtube once where a person gave thier quaker a bunch of popsicle sticks and it used the above the cage playstand to start building a community center (or fort). It may just be a matter of redirecting thier intelligence.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Quakers are nest builders, in the wild they have huge nests like caves that have a community of birds. I saw a video on youtube once where a person gave thier quaker a bunch of popsicle sticks and it used the above the cage playstand to start building a community center (or fort). It may just be a matter of redirecting thier intelligence.
I had never thought about letting her build! That’s interesting! I’ll keep it in mind :)

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
My Quaker loves weaving popsicle sticks between the bars of his cage! It hasn’t caused any hormonal behaviors for us and keeps him occupied for awhile
D566389E-B3C7-407C-8B37-1E11A4701852.jpeg

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My Quaker loves weaving popsicle sticks between the bars of his cage! It hasn’t caused any hormonal behaviors for us and keeps him occupied for awhile View attachment 52896
Do you sub him out for minor home repairs?

Most Reactions

Latest posts