Ever thought you would need to go to the Emergency room after eating a hot pepper?

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
This is a weird thread, I know. :)
But I was relaxing at home, and eating take-out. One of the foods from the take-out was a big bag of chicken tenders rolled in a bunch of spicy peppers. It was a little spicy, but it was eatable. Of course, being rather adventurous, I thought I could handle the huge, deadly looking pepper at the bottom of the bowl.:eek: Of course, I was wrong. I started chewing, and within a few seconds, I saw my life flash before my eyes. xD The pepper was the spiciest thing I have ever eaten{I have eaten a lot of spicy things}. I was completely devastated, my mouth and tongue was burning, and as the pepper went down, it left a trail of destruction behind it.

I had nothing to help the burning, other than some water, bread a bag of Brown Sugar{everything in our house is canned at the moment, and I couldn't find the can opener in my haste! We were going out to get some fresh veggies later}. I was desperate, and would have eaten probably anything to get the taste out. And my lips were numb, I couldn't even feel them anymore. So there I was, inhaling in and out sharply, eating spoonfuls of brown sugar, and plain bread for 20 minutes. I have never felt so foolish before.:eek: I am NEVER eating one of those peppers again.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
YIKES! Some of those peppers can be HOT. I enjoy spicy, but if it's painful to the point you're freaking out, thats too hot!

My mom is one of those totally insane people who loves excessively spicy everything. She eats a habenero pepper every morning with her eggs and puts the habenero powder on everything. It's ridiculous. I watched my husband turn purple with tears streaming down his face after being dumb enough to try one of her "salsas" once:) (and by salsa, I mean mouth blistering agent that could strip paint it's so spicy:eek:). He assumed I was being sissy with not touching her spiced up foods. He discovered otherwise!

Last edited:

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i read somewhere that milk helps with the spicy things and water just makes it worse.
my birds love peppers,i absolutely hate them,when they kiss me my lips burns the whole day and even trough i washed my hands a hundred times ,i still get pepper in my eyes when pulling out my contacts and then again in the morning when putting them in ,and yes i cleaned them.
i swear they love them for that reason,pepper is the all grand evil in the world!!!(and yes i still buy it every week for them.....)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Don't know if you all have heard of "Buffalo Wild Wings". It's a chain restaurant, their specialty being 'hot wings' (Chicken wings).

Well, we all went there during the summer, when my oldest son was visiting us from Cali. Of course he had to top everyone and do this stupid challenge, having to eat X amount of THE hottest wings they serve in a certain amount of time. I believe they called those peppers "ghost peppers". He won the challenge.

Now how do I put this 'mildly'? ..... When the peppers finally 'exited', he claimed they came out hotter than they when they went in. :54:

I LOVE spicy food. However, I like to ENJOY the food, and if its THAT hot, it can't possibly be enjoyable anymore, no? :32:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Why would anyone willingly subject themselves to ghost peppers?!

OP
Tangie

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I think maybe it took me by surprise because it takes something very spicy to make me think twice about eating it. It just looked so...innocent and small. It really was a little too spicy for me. xD I didn't have any milk, and I didn't want to drink water. I actually had a little left-over Coke, and it helped for a few seconds.

Lol, Wendy! I've always wanted to take a challenge like that, but after today, I'm not as confident I can do so. xD Happy late Birthday by the way!

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Holy moly- no thank you!!! Lol I'm glad you're ok though!!!

I'm a huge weeny when it comes to spicy things- "flamin hot Cheetos" are about the spiciest I can handle -and even those are pushing it lol

My dear husband though- every time we get Chinese food, he gets their house hot mustard and slathers his BBQ pork with it and I just sit and watch him writhe and squirm in self-induced spicy terror lol

Oh, and yes- milk products DO help calm the burning...so a cold glass of milk, a spoonful of cottage cheese... Or alcohol works to lol

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I can tolerate moderately spicy food, and have had several bouts of chili-pepper transference from my birds.

You know how this happens..... feed them a bunch of chili-peppers, engage in a bit of beak-nuzzling, and the oils get deposited on your face/lips/hands. Must be careful not to rub eyes - that would be a rude shock!!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I can tolerate moderately spicy food, and have had several bouts of chili-pepper transference from my birds.

You know how this happens..... feed them a bunch of chili-peppers, engage in a bit of beak-nuzzling, and the oils get deposited on your face/lips/hands. Must be careful not to rub eyes - that would be a rude shock!!

Yeah, well, when you have a macaw that is both fond of hot peppers, and licking eyeballs...

And a daughter who thinks it's funny, when someone else [i.e. me!] gets a flaming frenchie...

Yeah, nice juicy macaw tongue in the old eyeball! OMG! IT BURNS!!!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
YES, it happened to me TONIGHT in fact!!:eek:

I ate dinner at a favorite little ramen noodle place. :32: Tiny little restaurant with the nicest owner. He'll engage you with interesting conversation,and you can tell as he greets people it seems like a lot of old regulars go there. It feels very "homey", not to mention the AWESOME Japanese food :32: and good classic rock music.

He'll ask if you want your soup spicy, and if you do, he explains level 1-10. Level 5 gets "seriously" HOT. I asked for my regular...a 3. Usually that's nicely spicy and just right to set off the delicious flavor :). Well, tonight instead of his wife cooking like usual, it was a young guy cooking. When I got to the soup part, at first I thought "hm, wow this is a little hotter than usual for a 3"... As I kept drinking it, I was like MAN this is HOT!
Then it happened... I guess some chili powder pieces got stuck to the upper palate in the very back part of my mouth, and I started coughing violently and probably turning all shades of red, all while trying to be reasonably quiet as to not call attention to myself! I couldn't stop coughing for a while, and no amount of water helped. Tears would have been streaming down my face had I not been wiping my eyes with napkins and looking like I was crying :52:... then my nose started running. Ugh it was awful trying to recover! I've never had that happen, let alone in public. It was so painful, and I thought of this thread LOL!
I poured water in the rest of my soup, but it wasn't as good after getting diluted. The owner felt bad, but I told him it was delicious anyway ;), and I'm sure he told the young man who was cooking that he was not making the heat level the way it's supposed to be! :eek:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ouch! I feel for some of you with these stories!

Being of Jamaican heritage, most things that people around me find unbearably hot barely register on my heat index. My food doesn't have to be extremely hot, but I can definitely appreciate the explosion of flavor that comes with blazing hot Scotch-Bonnet peppers, for instance. Whoo-hoo!

And there's definitely nothing like jerk pork prepared at an authentic Jamaican restaurant! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

But I do have a pepper burn story as well. When I was a child, my brother-in-law used to hire me during the summers to help with his business. I would help him deliver, among lots of other foodstuffs, Jamaican peppers to a number of the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn based West-Indian restaurants and markets.

Well, one particularly hot summer day I carried a bunch of boxes of Scotch-Bonnet peppers from the truck to fill a large order. By the last trip, sweat was streaming down my face. My eyes began to sting a bit, so I absently rubbed my eyes to clear them of errant perspiration.

As you might have already guessed, my pepper-saturated hands had exchanged the mild sting of sweat with the mind-numbing AGONY of flaming eyeballs! When I say that my world went red, it's no exaggeration!!! I thought i was going to go blind! Hahaha!

Even after repeated flushings, the effects lingered for several hours afterward! A considerably less than pleasant experience. Smh.

Most Reactions