Everyone's favorite cages

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I visited anchorage once in the summer...

It's pretty in the summer... if you don't mind daylight pretty much all the time.

PRETTY DANG COLD the rest of the year. Wouldn't want to go there in the winter.

OP
ChocoboFun

ChocoboFun

Mar 21, 2015
East Coast U.S.
Parrots
Perry: Standard green and yellow budgie.
Peep: Blue and white budgie.
Harvey: Hahn's Macaw
Haha even worse! The very southern edge of Arkansas, right next to the swamps in Louisiana.
Most states, the mosquito hawks are smaller than the mosquitos back home. Not to mention the most types of poisonous spiders (and snakes) in a single state.

Beautiful trees everywhere though. So many that you can't find a straight road ;)

..oh, and that area (Arkansas/Louisiana/Alabama/Mississippi) is sometimes referred to as "Satan's Armpit" due to how blazing hot and muggy it gets starting about now until November.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Great thread! I'm contemplating replacing a bunch of cages as some are quite old; damaged/improvised locks, worn castors with nonstandard fittings, retainers sized with bowls that are unavailable. By default, most of my cages have playpens that are heavily used for eating/playing/resting as opposed to dome-tops.

Folks seem very happy with Kings Cages, but are they available at specialty bird shops or only sold online? Literature also suggests they are no longer produced in the U.S. (surprise!) though the website seems not to disclose the location. (I can guess!)

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
My biggest bird forced my hand to go with Stainless Steel earlier than I would have liked given she was stripping the powder coating of her previous cage and I was concerned that she would ingest any. Given cages are already overly ridiculous in Canada, i looked at options of having one custom made and a few friends recommended Expandable Habitats. The price of having one made to my specifications (within the companies guidelines) and having it shipped was on par as what I could fine "locally" (yet still needing to have it shipped, just not across the border) made me go for the custom made. While EH cages might not be the most visually appealing, at least at first, I have grown to really love this cage. And the support system to have a sheet of plexiglass above it, yet still allowing for some space to hang item yet not to worry about droppings falling in (as I have play structures above my cages) and, most importantly, allowing it to feel really light and not dark...just love all of it. Easy to clean, has large doors...it's great!

Just Poifect!: Léa's new cage is all set up!

That's a blog post I wrote back when I first got it; cage looks a little bare as I wanted my bird to get used to moving around in it before adding more items.

I also chose the model that has the cage bottom raised off the floor because 1) I prefer the look and 2) it is easier to clean without having to bend all the way down. And given I was able to make the cage fairly wide (could be wider, but it wouldn't then fit my space), I don't think Léa misses the height that having the bottom on the ground would have provided.

Most Reactions

Latest posts