Exploding watermelon, help!!!!

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I have no idea when this happened, but my watermelon imploded or exploded and the fermenting watermelon juice ran all over my carpet. It smell so bad. We have the carpet up off the ground. Tried ammonia/water, baking soda, white vinegar/backing soda/water. Scrubbed the whole area twice and it still stinks. Seems like its smells worst now then it did. We are waiting for it to dry now.

Anybody know what to do other then ripping the carpet up? :eek:

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 tablespoon of liquid dishwashing soap

Mix and soak all the areas that had the smell in it. This works for skunks also! Great for beer and wine, I can't see why it would not work for a bad mellon.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Shelly's solution sounds good to me...otherwise there's always oxyclean that eats the organic stuffs and its great to remove red wine off white carpet. :)

OP
SoCalWendy

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I did find some oxiclean carpet cleaner. Sprayed I bit of that. And I also found some Meleluca. Mixed about 5 drops in a spray bottle and sprayed it on the area. I also cut up some oranges in water with some cinnamon and nut meg simmering on the stove. Smells interesting in my home. Remember I live in an RV. Rio is outside where the air is fresh, but I know she would rather be in here with me. I have a 2 fans going full blast under that area of the carpet. It's drying. The good thing is its isolated in one of the pop out areas no padding. Let hope and pray it works.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I sure hope it works!!! There's nothing worse then smelling rotten stuff while your trying to sleep....lol

OP
SoCalWendy

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I sure hope it works!!! There's nothing worse then smelling rotten stuff while your trying to sleep....lol

Thankfully the smell is contained in the living room area. My bedroom smells okay. Otherwise I think I'd have to go sleep in the car. lol

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Hey Wendy, I've always thought it was better to eat a cold watermelon than forget it under a counter.....my step daughters will mention that they'd like a watermelon, their mother or I will pick one up, they'll eat a small slice or two & the rest will just sit in the refrigerator.....but.....if someone eats the rest or leaves just a small portion there's a lot of pouting until something else grabs their attention.....keep in mind these are both college age...one a junior & one a freshman in a couple of weeks.....as bad as my birds.....

OP
SoCalWendy

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hey Wendy, I've always thought it was better to eat a cold watermelon than forget it under a counter.....my step daughters will mention that they'd like a watermelon, their mother or I will pick one up, they'll eat a small slice or two & the rest will just sit in the refrigerator.....but.....if someone eats the rest or leaves just a small portion there's a lot of pouting until something else grabs their attention.....keep in mind these are both college age...one a junior & one a freshman in a couple of weeks.....as bad as my birds.....

I love cold cold watermelon. Watermelon doesn't last very long in this home. This one we just bought from trader joes a few days ago. I have never had this happen, ever. It hasn't even been that hot. The darn thing was still in the bag. Wish the bag wouldn't ave contained all the juice that came out of it. I'm shocked it was like a 2'x3' area that was just soaked.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Maybe you can pick up some of the spray they sell for cat urine odors. Pet store. Or, professional carpet cleaners use the stuff that neutralized organic matter - which i think is the same stuff you can get at a pet store. Call a carpet cleaner and ask what they use. It has enzymes or soething that "eat" up the organic materials that cause the odor.

Also, it may be below the carpet now. See if u can roll back the carpet to check what's uner and if it has the odor.

OP
SoCalWendy

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Maybe you can pick up some of the spray they sell for cat urine odors. Pet store. Or, professional carpet cleaners use the stuff that neutralized organic matter - which i think is the same stuff you can get at a pet store. Call a carpet cleaner and ask what they use. It has enzymes or soething that "eat" up the organic materials that cause the odor.

Also, it may be below the carpet now. See if u can roll back the carpet to check what's uner and if it has the odor.

We thought of that too. What we just did was since its wood underneath we just made a mixture of 3% peroxide/water/melaleuca oil, and treated the wood and the back of the carpet. It bubbled like crazy where the biggest concentration of the fermented juice was (the watermelon was sitting in a bag in it own juices.) So hopefull that will do it, if not on to plan C whatever that is. :52:

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm gagging and giggling at the same time...sorry about that.

Do you have a steam cleaner? If not, I'd rent one and I'd put Simple Green in it to see if that takes care of the stench. :)

OP
SoCalWendy

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
I'm gagging and giggling at the same time...sorry about that.

Do you have a steam cleaner? If not, I'd rent one and I'd put Simple Green in it to see if that takes care of the stench. :)

We have a friend who has a carpet cleaning business, in fact he just clean all my carpets. :30: We are going to call him if the stench doesn't go away. It would probably cost about the same w/o all the aggravation of doing it ourselves. We have my daughter and her husband coming down today for a 4 day visit too.

Right now its not as bad since treating the wood with straight peroxide. It was bubble city... Just let it sit there and do its thing. Now it's drying.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I hope you get that stench out....That Oxyclean stuff have the enzymes in it too....Did you ever call Trader Joe's about their exploding water melon??? :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts