ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
LeslieA: noisecancellation depends on the material.

IKEA (not sure if you have that- they have an online shop, but I can immagine Amazon would also offer something like it) has lightweigt stuf (also the rollerblinds) that really block the light very well, but it is thin and plasticky so won't do much against the noise.
Thick fluffy curtains with a second layer of light-tight material stitched against it... will really cut down on the noise.

(many people make their own- once you have the black-out material, you can combine it with almost every material you like -> so it will look pretty)

Als places/ e-shops that sell curtains and material for them usually have a selection of black-out stuff too.
Sometimes horribly overpriced, sometimes reasonable (just like everything else ;) ).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I bought extra heavy fabric, and some much lighter weight fabric, both black, and sewed together a winter and a summer cover for Saltys cage. He sleeps in the morning until we get him up around 10AM. As long as no one is crashing around and making noise, they work well. I think I spent $35 for the fabric, all in.

LeslieA

Aug 21, 2018
Media
Albums
Parrotian Castle
Parrots
Glenn, IRN; Sherman, WCP; JoJo, budgie; Tommy, budgie; Daytona, Sunday; Sir Lancelot, GCC; Duchess, BCC; Chirps, GRP (Green-rumped Parrotlet)
Thanks, ChristaNL, our nearest fabric store is almost 1.5 hours away. They just opened so they'll probably close right away, too. The nearest pet supply store doesn't sell bird thiings, but there's a tiny one further that actually sells budgies.

About bimonthly, I go to the AV a few hours away. There's a Walmart that carries more than the minimum down there, but we just visited the AV. The closest Ikea is over 8 hours away.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
You could try using some black king-sized bed sheets, but the breath-ability vs. light blocking action would be my biggest concern.

Most Reactions