Fabric choices for Kiwi's carrier. HELP ME PICK!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
So, Kiwi's new carrier came today and is very nice! But for him as an individual, the lining color is ALL WRONG. He was housed in a dark, dim cat carrier for a good chunk of his life:( and the color of the interior of this carrier looks very similar. Thankfully, mommy had LOTS of colorful fabric choices for my boy to re-line his carrier to give it a much more cozy feel of home (for a tropical, flashy parrot that is!). I think he will feel much better in a bright, colorful environment. I have found 8 potential choices in my fabric collection that are bright enough for my boy. Problem is, I don't know which one to choose:p Anyone care to share their preference? Like take a vote or something:D I'm leaning towards the flowers and rainbows, but I only have enough for the back potion, and would need to substitute in another fabric elsewhere. The other options I have enough to reline the entire carrier with.

DSC_3605_zpsad8580d7.jpg

DSC_3604_zpseda96adf.jpg

P.S. I have had Kiwi around the brightest, loudest prints and colors imaginable ever since we got him, so he isn't frightened by this stuff like a lot of birds are. In fact, it seems to excite him when things are colorful and fun!

Last edited:

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Top right... no clue why but that bright green with white just screams Kiwi to me :)

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
another thought I did not include... if you go with the flowers/rainbow, use the yellow to compliment, they would make a very cheerful combination :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
another thought I did not include... if you go with the flowers/rainbow, use the yellow to compliment, they would make a very cheerful combination :)

I totally agree with Jen! That would look awesome and that rainbow fabric is amazing:) It is so cheerful!

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I am really leaning toward the rainbow fabric. My mom actually made a purse out of it and sent me the remnant, which is why I don't have enough. I'm like a fabric addict, so when I see a print I love, I buy a yard or 2 even if I don't know what i'll use it for yet (and I WILL eventually use all of it, right?:30:). And I do think the yellow would be nice as an accent. Hmmmmm.....

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Eh? Did someone say 'fabric addict'? Yep, that would be me...

I like the rainbows with the yellow to complement it. The only thing is, might Kiwi think he was having acid flash if he had to look at that busy fabric for very long??? :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
The only thing is, might Kiwi think he was having acid flash if he had to look at that busy fabric for very long??? :D

Are you suggesting my boy does drugs:20:?

I sure hope my fabric addiction has not been a bad influence on him:09:

Mishcka

Feb 11, 2014
Nashville
Parrots
Cookatoo
I think the little rainbows with the yellow is the way to go ! That will be sooooo cute .... Kiwi looks so extra my cute inside that backpack ... I just love it .

Freespin

Nov 28, 2013
Waikato New Zealand
Parrots
Male senegal - Stephen. Previously Barry - Male Barraband
Nelson - Male Eclectus
Why not let him choose?! See if he is particularly drawn to any of them... haha but I like the idea of the flowers as a feature wall with yellow

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I'll be the oddball here :( I love the one with the animals and flamingos best :)

I also love that fabric, I made myself a shirt out of it last summer:)

A feature of the animal one would look cool with the blue to!
The blue was my first thought, because his sleeping hut is lined in a blue polka dot fabric

Thanks for all the great suggestions here everyone!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sorry if I'm late, some great suggestions, and I LOVE the fabrics, all of them!

I know one thing, whichever fabric you decide to use, it will brighten that awesome carrier a hundred fold, and Kiwi is one lucky birdy!

I personally like the rainbow together with the yellow. :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So a little update here, I have spent the past 2 days working on this:09: and got A LOT bit carried away with doing all these cute little appliqués that I find very adorable, but Mr. Kiwi will probably not care one iota about:52:. I also have to hand sew the new lining in because my machine isn't going to take this thick fabric and god knows how much seam allowance there was on the steel mesh when the factory assembled it. However, as slow as it's going, it is turning out beyond adorable for him, so fun and very welcoming for a bird. I haven't really had a complex sewing project to work on for a while, so this is a good mental exercise (and a bit of a kick in the butt of how out of practice I was getting even stitches by hand!). Hoping I will have it done later today or tomorrow to post pictures:D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I just got SOOOO excited when I saw you updated here, April...and now I'm a wee bit bummed that there are no pictures (yet). ;)

I truly can't wait to see the end result. :D :D

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
Wendy, it is absolutely ridiculous how much effort I put into this, and all for a bird who isn't going to care if I customized it to this extent or not. O well, I sure love the little craphead!

Most Reactions