Facts on gcc please

lauraandlee

Mar 18, 2012
S.Wales UK
Parrots
Jet GCC - 16/1/12
Hiya, im just posting this thread as im picking my baby gcc in nxt wk or two.

I have read websites, clips and the breeder is brilliant she has given loads of advice and her mobile number for support.

However I would like to hear from yourselves, and what you do with your gcc.

What food?

What toys?

How to interact with baby GCC when comes home?

Any good information/threads with good advice?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Food- make sure you always have fresh fruits and veggies a available at all times(better if it is organic), no avocado, no onions, no caffeine, no soda, no alcohol, and no apple seeds. Pellets are good but mine get mostly fresh food and then w little seed/pellet mix. I buy the mix in bulk from myparrotfood.com
Toys- conures love to chew so wood toys are great. Mine also love twine, but make sure you trim any loose threads.
Perches- none of the dowls that the cage comes with. Get a veriety of perches like rope,citrus tree branches,a grooming perch but not as the main/roosting perch. Also you need perches in varying diameter.
If you are getting a girl I would not give her any dark enclosed spaces.
And when you first bring her home let her adjust to her new surroundings before you start training. And let her go at her own pace, if she wants to come out of the cage as soon as she gets home, let her.
Anything else?

OP
lauraandlee

lauraandlee

Mar 18, 2012
S.Wales UK
Parrots
Jet GCC - 16/1/12
the breeder told me to feed her/him on pulses, fruit, something called egg rearing food.

Would it b wised to play with Jet out of cage or just leave him? I so for how long? Should I cuddle him and how often should i feed him?

Breeder said she will give us some bird baby formula just incase when he comes to live with us???

Thanks I have decorted his cage i have 2 perches inside and one on the top outside. I have a string toy and a few ropes, also a hanging wooden toy and I read on here about cat balls so have 2 of them at the bottom.

What about general care e.g bathing? do they like water spray? How long should i get him out and play? Will he sleep and make a lot of noise being a baby?
Also how do u fed calicuim? Do u use cuttlefish?

Does anyone know how long DNA test takes to return?

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
Wait you are taking a baby gcc home, like one that still needs handfeeding?! Have you ever hand fed before, and how old is he?
Usually gcc love to be misted with water. And you should take him out whenever you can. Gcc sleep through the night without noise and they need at least 10 hours of sleep each night. Just put a cuttlebone in the cage for calcium.
How old is he?!

OP
lauraandlee

lauraandlee

Mar 18, 2012
S.Wales UK
Parrots
Jet GCC - 16/1/12
hes not ready yet he is still being hand fed im waiting for him/her to be weaned he's 8 wks at the moment.
She said she will give us some formula incase it needs it just incase. Do u think he will need it? Or should he b 100% weaned :green2:

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
Hi congratulations on your new baby GCC. By the sounds of things the breeder is doing the right thing sending you home with some formula. If baby isn't eating at his new home at least having some familar food makes the transition that bit easier.

Some GC'S will be very cuddly when you take them home others will be scared & will bite. You just have to make sure you don't rush him.

Bathing is easy, they usually dive into their water dish as soon as fresh water is put in the cage. They also love to dunk their food in their water. I have 2 dishes of water for my birds.

GC'S have a short attention span so if you notice him getting a bit uncomfortable just put him on his cage or plat stand.

As far a feeding goes offer a variety of fresh fruits & veg, sprouts, some raw almonds, a small anount of seed mix & pellets. The more foods you can get him to eat the less fussy he will be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts