Fancy GCC plucking

lmfp2006

Oct 22, 2011
Yes another one of those stories where the plucking is getting out of control.

I've had Charlie for about 8 months. I bought him from the store I work at because he had been returned several times because the customers couldn't handle the biting. He is probably about 2 years old.

The plucking started on July 4th. He must have been pretty nervous because although I didn't notice that night, the next morning he had grey patches. I had hoped it was a one time thing (this is my first bird so please be gentle), but he continued to do it. I brought him to the vet even though I suspected he was doing it because of stress. The vet said he is perfectly healthy and made some suggestions as to how to get him to stop. She told me to put a mirror in his cage, which he has little to no interest in. She told me to add a vitamin supplement to his water. She said he may never stop because it is sort of like nail biting, very tough habit to break.

So I have been researching ideas and reading forums to see what people are doing. I am taking this one step at a time to see if I can narrow down the problem. I spend a lot of time with him, but it seems like lately he will want attention from inside the cage, but will gladly come out and step on my finger for a treat. He still seems to be most happy when he is with me.

Soon I will be upgrading his cage, but we are moving into a new household in a week, so to avoid causing too much stress at once I will wait a little while before changing his cage.

I've also been playing music for him during the times when I can't give him one on one attention and I also bought the Parrot Sitter which he enjoys. Nothing has gotten him to stop plucking though... I just wanted to post here and see what people are doing, and if anyone has been in this situation before and has gotten it under control.

I will love him even if he goes bald, he is definately one of a kind as they all are, but I do want him to live the happiest life that he can so if anyone has any suggestions I would be so grateful!

Most Reactions