Farmer's Market

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
I am planning on going to the farmers market Saturday, and hope Bob will be comfortable enough with his harness to come with me. Assuming that Bob and the weather cooperate would this be a good adventure for him, or would the crowd traumitize him?

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
The crowd traumatizing him will all depend on bob's personality. I have had birds that are really shy, and then I have had birds that absolutely loved the attention they got when out in public. My 'too would dance and sing and act like a complete nut when we would go out together. The one thing I would be careful of is people wanting to touch or hold him(you never know what people have or their hands), and either come up with a nice way to tell people that you would rather them not, or if you are okay with people touching him that I would take some hand sanitizer or something that they could use first. Also, if your farmers markets are like the ones around here and sell live animals, I would keep him away from the livestock barns, they are usually full of poultry and I have even seen budgies in crates at one of our local markets, and you never know what you may be exposing him to. Farmer's markets aren't exactly the prime place of healthy animals, I have seen my fair share of plucked, sick and just otherwise sickly and dying chickens and other birds from walking through the auction barns(so glad I'm vegan lol). Which also brings up another point, anyone that wants to touch bob, was probably already touching the livestock which is a really good way to transfer mites and other diseases and parasites. I'm not trying to talk you out of it, I would just be mindful of these things and prepare yourself for any situation before you go. Oh, and have fun!:D

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Thanks for the info. Bob enjoys the attention he gets at work. I think I will try an outdoor mall here as his first big public adventure, just to see how he reacts. The mall is easier to leave and is less dense.

All the farmers markets I know of only have meat, no live animals; so no concerns there. I will keep him away from the occasional dog though.

OP
S

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Bob - a Cockatiel;
The mall has lots of people, but they are spread out for the most part. Maybe a park first. Though hopefully tonight he will go for a walk.

Most Reactions

Latest posts