Fat Intake - how much is too much?

AmazonServant

Jun 24, 2011
My Amazon is typical in that she loves eating and is particularly obsessed with nuts and nut butters. I have her eating pellets and healthy people food, and she's definitely not picky, but if she sees me eating anything nutty she goes crazy and throws all her healthier food on the floor. I even have a chair in the part of my kitchen she can't see, so I can hide there when I eat things I don't want to tempt her with! Even then, she usually knows something's up. The best way to control her behavior - if I'm eating something with nuts, or trying to talk on the phone, etc. is to give her half a walnut to prevent her from screaming. Nuts definitely aren't the main part of her diet, but she does eat a couple or a few of them every day. How much is too much? She's not overweight, but I'm always a little concerned about that changing. Are health problems like fatty liver still a concern to keep in mind even if the bird is not overweight? I try to give her a fair amount of exercise, but I'm wondering if I should be more careful about what her actual fat intake is as well.

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I would be a little careful if she isn't flighted but normally a flighted bird will work off any stored fat.

I give my Zons 2 almonds each day. They love them.

By the sound of things you have everything under control with all the healthy food.

Most Reactions

Latest posts