Feather Problem - Galah

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hold the shower for now. I have one who doesnt like bathing either.

Thinking of you and Peanut tomorrow.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Good luck, hope the appointment brings news of relief. Please keep us updated as able!!

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I hope you find out what it is, I will be thinking of you two!

I think weird feather shape can be concerning, especially when they start out bad, but their could be a chance that it could be from a variety of things, although PBFD may be more likely.

But the feather color is more concerning, and there are a lot less 'good reasons' why they changed. Coupled with malformed feather shape, and changing color, it is much more likely that it could be a disease/poisoning.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have nothing to add but my very best wishes... I know you must be so very anxious. I'm glad you found us, and I'm glad you're getting so much help and support!

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
First of all, I wish the best to you guys and hope everything turns out okay. It seems pretty serious judging by the extent of whatever is going on, to be honest. Pray that it is not PBFD but be ready for anything. Have you noticed anything else like regurgitation and diarrhea?
Second.. I think its kind of crazy that a vet would just eyeball something like this and send him off.. even if not an avian vet I would think a responsible vet should at least refer one to an avian vet if he or she does not have extensive knowledge in that subject. Its like if one went to a podiatrist with some strange rash on their neck, they would refer the person to a dermatologist not just say put cream on it and get better. Strange to say the least. Keep us updated, hopefully its something that can be cured.

OP
R

RoseBreastedCocky

Oct 28, 2016
Hi everyone.

So my wallet is a few hundred dollars lighter, but preliminary assessments are looking good. General blood test is showing up with no abnormalities, save for a slightly high concentration of protein. There is a possibility that he has Chlamydia according to another test they ran, which may require treatment. Still waiting for the result for PBFD, but the vet thinks it is extremely unlikely, based on her inspection. She thinks Peanut may have anxiety, and that the feather abnormalities are most likely the result of his own preening. She says his feather are growing, but that they are subsequently damaged.

If PBFD test is negative, she recommended running a test under which he will be anaesthetised, to check for skin conditions. The test is extremely expensive though, almost as much as the sum of all the tests and the fee for the consultation. This is putting me off, given that she has essentially ruled it out as a possibility.

However, the visit has really put me at ease. The high probability that this is behavioural is extremely relieving.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
That's good news! If he wore a collar for a while, so he couldn't pick at his feathers, that would tell you whether they were growing like that or being damaged after, and that shouldn't be expensive.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You must be greatly relieved, pending the PBFD result. Might consider holding off on the expensive skin-test if the likelihood is minimal coupled with the slight but meaningful risk of anesthesia.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi thanks for the update. Putting a collar on Peanut who is/could be already anxious will cause distress btw.

At this point and from experience I think I would wait and see when everything has come in and try and make an informed decision then.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I'm glad to hear that the AV is leaning away from the possibility of PBFD, and reassured as well that she ran the test anyway. Night and day difference from the first vet.

As for the skin test under anesthesia, the nature of it escapes me as described in your post. Would that test be for the purpose of further determining the likelihood of PBFD? Or is it a test for something else entirely? Because if it's a test for something else, and your AV thinks it the next likeliest possibility of a medical issue after PBFD, I wouldn't be too quick to discount it.

And going back to your question about baths, I definitely approach those as I would with a child. He/she may not like it... but they have to take it. You can try different approaches to see if there is one way he may prefer to others. Some birds prefer to be misted, some full on showered, and others yet prefer a basin or bowl within which to bathe. Some prefer warm water, others cool. Some want higher pressure, some lower (this last in reference to showers.) And some need to hear the sound of running water or the sound of a vacuum cleaner (which apparently mimics the sound of rainfall) to get them "in the mood" for a soaking. Find what he'll most enjoy (or tolerate with least protest) and go with that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts