Feather stubs

wiresoma

Jun 18, 2012
Keelo has feather stubs on the back of her neck. I've read where parrots will groom each other and remove these. Can I pull these stubs out? They seem to cause sensitivity for her.

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
Those are pins, the shaft that holds the feather......don't pull them out. When I got my Sun conure his neck was full of those and he would bend over for scratches. Just take each pin between your nail and finger and pinch with your nail gently. The shaft needs to be cracked and it will fall off and the feather will bloom. Don't pull on the feather just try to cause a crack in it with your nail, then sort of rub it between your two fingers and it will flake off. You should see white flakes falling. If you twist the wrong way it will hurt and they will squawk.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey and welcome to the forum. I think what you referring to are new feathers coming in. Birds molt old feathers and new ones emerge. We call the new feathers when they first appear "pin feathers". Most are still full of blood and are still developing. They are sensitive and could not be pulled. These pin feathers are enclosed in a keritin sheath,when fully developed the sheath will break open and the new feathers is visible. Birds can break apart this sheath themselves except for the ones they can't reach, Preening is grooming the feathers and removeing that sheath. Many birds preen each other especially bonded pairs. If the pin feathers are not "ripe" yet the bird will let you know because they are tender and painful if messed with. However when the feather matures and is "ripe" they love for you to break that sheath between your finger nails and help them with the ones they can't reach themselves. Hope that makes things a little clearer than mud. Read though some of the threads in different sections of the forum and pick up lots of great tips on living with your companion bird. Hope to see you around and ask questions when needed,we love to help.

MollyGreenCheeks

Jan 16, 2012
Media
Albums
Arizona, USA
Parrots
Molly - GCC, Cody - GCC, Gracie - Congo African Grey
Hey and welcome to the forum. I think what you referring to are new feathers coming in. Birds molt old feathers and new ones emerge. We call the new feathers when they first appear "pin feathers". Most are still full of blood and are still developing. They are sensitive and could not be pulled. These pin feathers are enclosed in a keritin sheath,when fully developed the sheath will break open and the new feathers is visible. Birds can break apart this sheath themselves except for the ones they can't reach, Preening is grooming the feathers and removeing that sheath. Many birds preen each other especially bonded pairs. If the pin feathers are not "ripe" yet the bird will let you know because they are tender and painful if messed with. However when the feather matures and is "ripe" they love for you to break that sheath between your finger nails and help them with the ones they can't reach themselves. Hope that makes things a little clearer than mud. Read though some of the threads in different sections of the forum and pick up lots of great tips on living with your companion bird. Hope to see you around and ask questions when needed,we love to help.
Excellent explanation by henpecked!!!

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Those are the next year's feathers growing in. This is molting season for a lot of amazons and you've probably been finding feathers on the floor lately. When those feathers reach a certain degree of maturity, they will split at the end revlealing the new feather. Sometimes they itch and depending on the individual they will want you to help them out with opening them up or they won't want you to touch them because they hurt. Usually with my amazons I use my fingernails to lightly crack the very tips of these feathers. Be careful though because some of those feathers have a blood supply about halfway up the new shaft. If the waxy coving feels more rubbery, its probably too new for you to try opening. And don't get greedy and try peeling farther down on those recently opened feathers until you get the hang of the right technique. Some of them get real sensitive the farther down you go and your likely to get a lunge, growl or bite. Its slightly addictive. Like peeling a sunburn if you have a cooperative bird. My pet amazon usually goes through a don't touch me phase when first growing in new feathers. Then she goes through a PLEASE preen me phase.

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
Don't pull them out.. Your bird is an expert and grooming her or his self. They do this on their own. No need for human help. They will bite you very hard if you dare try to help. That is what they keep busy doing- preening and straightening feather 5 hours per day. They like that alot. You are interfering in their beauty secrets. lol So please don't do this and let your parrot be a birdy..

dishgal1

May 1, 2012
Texas
Parrots
Forrest -Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure, Nacho- Sun Conure
It is hard for a bird to do its own head. My Sun was like that when I got him. He was happy when I helped get them all loose from their sheath.
My green cheek rubs his head with his foot like a massage it is very cute and I have never had to help him. But he is not the norm. He also has my daughter's bird as a friend and they play together several times a week and they preen each other.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Sounds like pinfeathers to me. :)

You can help by preening (gently, some are very sensitive still), and giving baths. They don't actually need our help though.

OP
W

wiresoma

Jun 18, 2012
Thanks everyone for your help. I understand they're new feathers and most of the time, Keelo can do alright on her own. I will keep an eye out if there are opportunities for that little pinch on the tip to assist if need be.

Most Reactions

Latest posts