Feedback from Yellow Nape Parronts Please.

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
In a suburb of Minneapolis, MN
Parrots
Yellow Naped Amazon -female, Umbrella Cockatoo - female.
I am trying to make a decision about if I want to get a male or female Yellow Nape hand fed baby. I previously had a male YN for over ten years. He was a great talker & a wonderful pet, very comical & amusing. After he was age 8 or 10 years when people would come over he would be too excited for me to handle him. He would put on a real "show", kind of go through all the things that he could say, his eyes were pinning then, but he would bite me if I would try to handle him at that time. The rest of the time I could touch him anywhere, turn him onto his back, hang him by his feet, pretty much do anything that I wanted with him.
Now I have 1 female Yellow Nape who was a rescue bird. She was dropped off in the Humane Society night drop box. She is tame, but she doesn't like to be handled, I think that she was just left in her cage for a long time before she was with me, so she is scared of being handled. She likes to be out of her cage now 'tho. She is gentle 'tho if I do pick her up, she has never bitten me hard, she only threatens to. She talks, but not as clearly as my male YN & she doesn't seem to be as interested in learning the things that I attempt to teach her as he was, she chooses to pick up what she wants to. I would like to know with your help if these are typical characteristcis of YNs determined by sex difference or just individual differences of these 2 YNs that I have had personal experience with.
Could the parronts and/or breeders of Yellow Napes who have experience in this area please tell me whether they know if there is a difference in talking ability between male & female Yellow Napes, if males speak more clearly & are more interested in learning to speak? Also if females stay tamer at sexual maturity than male Yellow Napes.
Thank you very much for your feedback.
A separate, unrelated question that I have is those of you will flighted large parrots the size of amazons or larger, do you have problems with your parrots flying into windows.
Thank you for sharing your wisdom in this area.:green2:

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
All of my birds are flighted. I had a problem with my lilac amazon flying into the sliding glass door. Someone mentioned decals at my local bird store and it made all the difference. It does take away from my view but it was worth it. I hope this helped.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
From sience investigations there is no sign of that talking ability is different for male/female. Agressivnes do to sexul maturity is more from bird to bird than sex but statistic shows that more male than female is coming to rescuecenter ( is there a connection ?). Flying into windows etc is a general problem with birds

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
With certain birds I had heard that the males were better talkers. I had heard many years ago that male cockatiels were better talkers, so I got a male hand fed baby one. He was a very good talker for a cockatiel. He was my first bird many years ago. I just spoke to a man who is trying to sell his Double Yellow Head on Craigslist & he said that he heard that male Dbl Yellow Heads are better talkers than females. He has a female, she doesn't talk much. I was told last night by a parrot breeder a Dble Yel Head would be a better choice than a Yellow Nape because they have a sweeter personality. I don't know if this is just personal preference or not? I am biased toward Yellow Napes because of the 5 large parrots that I had for over 10 years (Yellow Nape, Citron, African Gray, Blue & Gold & Rosebreasted) my male Yellow Nape's personality was my favorite & I highly regret selling him when I got back together with my ex. My ex didn't like my parrots. We later got a divorce anyway.
If anyone has feedback regarding personality differences & speaking ability between Double Yellow Heads & Yellow Napes & males /females I would be very interested in hearing it. Thank you.

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
mele, Thank you for the info. Did you find the window decals at a local parrot store or a local wild bird feed store?

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Oled, Have you done personal research in the area of speaking ability & sexual differences regarding Yellow Napes & Double Yellow Headed Amazon parrots? I know that your last parrot was a Yellow Nape & now you have a Double Yellow Head. Thank you.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
DYHA is normaly a better talker than YNA, but of cause birds are different. They talk about the terrible 3 YNA, DYHA and one more, dont know the English name but have a yellow spot in the neck. I think that they are tuf and it help with experinace to learn them and bond correctly.

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
I have a young Red Fronted Macaw here who keeps trying to fly into my backyard through my large windows. There is a screen on the window & his wings are clipped so he has not gotten hurt at all. The screen cushioned his landing & his wings are more clipped now too so he doesn't make it as far as the window any more. He was in an outdoor flight aviary in a warm climate for the past 3 months without his wings clipped with his siblings. He is not happy here, he is going back to his breeder. He came from an idyllic situation & he will be going back to it. He does not want a life as a caged bird after that life.

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Oled, I had my male Yellow Nape for over 10 years & he was a great talker & a very wonderful pet. I have become aware through experience with my local parrot rescue that Amazons "have a bad name", just as some breeds of dogs "have a bad name". In other words lots of people inexperienced with that breed do not have a good opinion of it. The woman who runs the parrot rescue here that I have worked with in the past 6 months doesn't like Amazons at all. They have a reputation of being nasty biters. I fostered a large male Double Yellow Head here for a while that would lunge at me & try to bite me whenever I got near to feed him or to clean the cage or to clean near the cage.

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Not directly investigation but is reading a lot about Amazon and talk to breeders etc but for sure I am not a spe******t. In the literature regarding talking ability I have never read that speaking ablility should depend on sex, but of cause there are for sure maný books I havent read.

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Thanks Oled, yes I have done much personal reading & research in the area myself too. That was how I decided to get a Yellow Nape as my first large parrot many years ago. I have never regretted that decision. I only regret not keeping him when I attempted to reconcile with my ex hubby years ago.

mele

Jul 26, 2011
California
Parrots
Lotty- Umbrella Cockatoo,
Scarlet- Scarlet Macaw,
Paco- Lilac Amazon, Josh-blue front amazon
Kerry,
I bought them at a local craft store. I was told to also try ebay.

OP
kerry

kerry

Jul 3, 2011
Parrots
Ok,thanks a lot mele.
I might just Google them.
I had a cardinal fly into my living room bay window in winter & he did not make it.
It was so sad.
When I was a child our yard was where there used to be an apple orchard.
Birds would eat the fermented apples after they fell from the trees & then frequently fly into our kitchen window. Luckily most of them would get up & fly away.

Most Reactions