Feeding bowls and schedules

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I'm still prepping for our B&G Macaw. He is still being weaned by the breeder. in the meantime I've been busy prepping his cage.

We got the powder coated corner King Cage. It has 2 places for 2 sets of feeding bowls each. The bird is actually trained to drink out of a Lixit bottle, which will be arriving tomorrow.

So my question is I have 4 bowls, 2 on each side. Should I put food in one bowl per side, and fill the other 2 bowls with water for him to play in or whatever? Or something else? I saw how dirty the water gets quickly. I thought also I could use the other bowls to put in fresh foods like legumes, sprouts, and such (which i would remove after an hour so it doesn't spoil) a couple of times a day. Thoughts?

Also I was planning on feeding pellets. I like the Tropican but the baby is being fed a Kaytee brand pellet. Are birds like dogs and cats, and need a gradual transition to a different diet? I'm sure if the bird is picky I'll have to do it gradually, but if he takes to the new food, can I just skip the other food?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've heard stories of water bottles clogging and owners not aware of it, just something to keep in mind. I have food bowls all over the cage with different stuff in them so they check and explore. I like TOPs pellets, but I offer zupreem, Harrison, and Tropican, and those little ball ones forgot the name. I like them to not be picky. When you first bring them home it's good to keep them in what they are used to at first since they are going through so many changes, but you could still offer the new stuff in s different bowl. Think of foraging ideas too, gotta keep those minds busy. You can get scewers to hang veggies. Look into puzzle boxes.

OP
tfw

tfw

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2018
Parrots
B&G Macaw
I would definitely check the bottle everyday for clogs. So I should go ahead keep 1 bowl with water then and change it regularly? Good idea about different foods in different bowls. I will definitely do that.

I am planning on foraging toys for sure. I have been collecting lots of bird safe things to diy a bunch of toys.

Im trying to keep my excitement down so I do not overwhelm the little guy his first days here. I will keep things simple and just spend plenty of time letting him explore. I will try to keep most of his routines similar including foods.

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.
Foods can be place everywhere. They will go look for it..

As for water, I preferred the glass bottle ones. I don't like the water in the bowls since birds will poop on it/foods will drop on it, and they drink out of it while you are at work. Unless you are changing very two three hours. No tap water please. Love your birds and have them drink fresh water. :57:

Most people preferred the water in the bowls than the bottle since it their nature.

That is my opinion, you do how it suits you and your baby bird. ;)

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Just plunk the wet stuff in one bowl, the dry stuff in another ;)
It kind of makes sense (unless your macaw really likes soggy pellets)

You can fill a bowl with drinking water if it gives you peace of mind (my macaw likes/uses both- I use drinking bottles as default, but she demolished the spring that attached it to the cage, so she is back to having a bowl ... she loves the bottle and will use the ones in the grey's cage and of course: steal my tea....)

Preparing for a birdy companion is sooo much fun!
Do not forget to take pictures!

Most Reactions

Latest posts