Feeding fresh fruits and vegetables

saraj

Aug 7, 2017
I have a peach fronted conure who will not touch fresh fruit and vegetables. She eats a pellet diet, loves seeds and dried fruit just nothing fresh. Does anyone have any ideas, I've tried everything.

tashawithanekkie

Feb 22, 2017
Northeast Ohio, USA
Parrots
Duke, Male eclectus
Have you tried sprouts? For my son's parakeets, we put a few chunks of fruit or veg with the seeds. They seem more willing to give it a try then. Good luck!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
How are you cutting up the food? Sometimes it's all about presentation. Have you tried making a batch of CHOP? You could mix it with the pellets and/or seeds/dried fruit..

my thread - the CHOP Chronicles - HERE!

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
I used a little vege chopper, and finely diced the good stuff before stirring in the seeds, and then gradually reduced the seeds being stirred in. If it's finely diced it's near impossible to grab a seed without getting some good stuff too!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums!

A few strategies to try. First, this thread: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Parrots often eat in flocks, and you are a member of your conure's family! Prepare a bowl of vegetables and fruits (also known as "chop") for yourself and one for the bird. Start eating, making demonstrable "mmmm" sounds, try bobbing your head with each bite. Bring out your inner 6-year old, worth a try!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Not for nothing my conure likes berries and apples and basically anything I eat but before all that he liked...well likes... those dried banana pieces that come in Sunburst true fruits.

So one day I bought some bananas. He couldn't care less for them. Maybe because I'm not really into bananas as much as grapes, apples, oranges strawberries, peppers etc. So I don't buy bananas anymore, I just get what I like and have to fight him off to get my share.

In short, my advice is the same as Scott's eat some yourself and then try to keep him from your food.

OP
S

saraj

Aug 7, 2017
Thanks everyone for the great advice. She's eating apples now but no other fruits or veg. I guess it will just take time. I'll keep trying.

Most Reactions

Latest posts