Feeding grey's food

jasper19

Supporting Member
Aug 13, 2014
North Dakota, USA
Parrots
Congo African Grey "Angel"

Muloccan Cockatoo "Bahama"
So i was looking through the apartment doing a showing of the building (to a client trying to sell the building)...and the tenant there had what i think was a Congo Grey...it looked to be in great shape, lots of toys, very nice bird was interested in our presence.

The tenant mentioned that he gives the bird some food of everything they eat...that he does it to build up his tolerance to disease, and his bird has never gotten sick because of this?...he literally said anything and everything they eat he gets some of it.

From all the reading i have done, this is a bad thing? He said his bird is healthy, and it surely looks it, but could this end up having a bad consequence for him at some point?...not that i am going back to talk to him i was just curious.

he mentioned he has had the bird 8 years since it was a baby. Just wondering if there is something in this bird that allows it safely eat other types of food? or is it more hardy then other bird species?...they are a very interesting bird.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
A bird eating human food need not be a bad thing, as long as their consumption is in moderation and limited to things they can safely eat.....any bird specie can be healthy and lead a full, healthy life, if that's what you are asking.....I had an MBC that lived to be almost 30yo and while he ate what I thought to be a varied diet, I was never overly concerned about making sure he ate specific foods.....

Most Reactions