Feeding

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
Oh, I did have one more quick question. I get millet spray for my doves as a snack, and they love it. Peeko does too (as a treat), but I read today that millet has no nutritional value at all and it shouldn't be offered to parrots, because its basically potato chips for birds. Is there any truth to this? A friend of mine's avian vet actually told her, specifically, to give her sick parrotlet lots of millet while she recovered from a fungal infection, and infected toe from a bite from one of her other parrots. I've never heard of a doctor prescribing potato chips to a sick person, so something isn't adding up?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Lots of people give dried greens, and dired fruits to their birds. Here is a link to one (I have the product here in my house actually, but havn't opened it yet, but I know people on this forum use it because this is where I got the info on it - here is a link so you can see what it is:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/HIGGINS-466342-Attack-Greens-2-Ounce/dp/B001LDE1UA"]Amazon.com: HIGGINS 466342 Higg Snack Attack Greens and Herbs Bag for Birds, 2-Ounce: Pet Supplies[/ame]

And here is another with fruits and vegetables as well as seeds:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Snack-Attack-Veggies-10-Ounce/dp/B002IUN7LY/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2/178-5871081-9767637"]Amazon.com: Higgins Snack Attack, Fruit and Veggies Small Bird Treat, 10-Ounce Bag: Pet Supplies[/ame]

As you can see the prices are very reasonable.

Millet. I buy organic millet from Dr. Fosters & Smith and it's pretty much agreed that all birds love millet. Here is a link that I suggest you take a look at:

All About Millet

Millet is just one of those things that you give as a treat rather than as the main diet. It does have a lot of fiber and a lot of carbs, but is rather nutrient poor - but it has a lot of uses, particularly if your bird isn't feeling well you can often coax them to eat some millet to get something into them, and it is very useful to feed to chicks when they are being weaned. It's an important part of the diet but generally only as a treat so a small part of the diet. That link explains it quite well I think.

OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
My friend actually recently bought two packs of Higgins dried fruit as a present for my bird for Christmas :) Fruit & Stix and True Fruit. He loves it!

Alright, looks like I'm safe on the millet front. I only give it as a treat, but he does love it :)

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
I buy organic millet from Dr. Fosters & Smith

I did not know they had organic millet. Is it organic spray millet???

Thanks Gary!

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
Hi Maria, maybe it is not organic, I thought it was though - this is the one I have bought (5 pounds for $19.99) - it is very fine looking millet, big sprays, plump and heavy, they make a big deal about how naturally it's grown so that's probably where I got the 'organic' but I don't see it labled as organic.

Bird Treats: Golden Sunburst Millet at Drs. Foster & Smith

Here is what it says:

* Fresh-picked, extra plump Spray Millet - NOW with bigger sprays! Guaranteed to be the best on the market!
* A healthy treat at an affordable price
* 100% natural, Wisconsin farm-grown
An outstanding value for this incredibly nutritious grain. Fresh from the Wisconsin farm where it's grown, these plump golden sprays are 100% natural. No fillers or additives, just sun-drenched goodness in every bite. Millet is low in fat, very easily digested, and an excellent source of carbohydrates. Give your birds the healthy treat they love at a price you can afford. Grain size varies. Approximately 16-18 springs per pound - 12" each.

Last edited:
OP
P

Peeko

Dec 12, 2012
One last question: how limited should nuts be? He absolutely LOVES pistachios, walnuts, almonds, and pecans. He'd choose nuts over fruit any day, but since nuts are high in fat from what I'm told, am I correct in assuming they should be given sparingly?

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Parrots
My birds are too small to eat nuts so that's not something i have any advice on, but I'm sure other's can help you with that question - lots of people on here have Green Cheeks. One thing I could say tho is if he loves them so much they sound like a good treat to use in training him.

Most Reactions