Female cockatiel egg Laying + dummy eggs

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello :) I just wanted to be more educated on the topic of female cockatiels and laying eggs, fertile and non-fertile.

I found out that some people refrigerate or boil the eggs and give them back to the female so it doesnā€™t develop into a baby and she abandons it. Is this true and does this work 100%? I also heard that some people use dummy eggs. Where can they be found from?

If an egg is unable to be hatched or taken away from the female, then will that make her depressed or aggresive?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Dummy cockatiel eggs are relatively easy to find because cockatiels are such a popular companion parrot species, and 'tiels are also fairly notorious for laying, both fertile and infertile eggs. You should have no trouble getting them at a pet shop, and good fakes can be ordered through www.dummyeggs.com too. Boiling the eggs works best, you can then give them back to your hen to work off her maternal yearnings on. But in my experience replacing a real egg with a fake one is the best way to go because then your hen can't break the shell and feel compelled to lay more to replace the broken ones. IF a hen goes and lays eggs, you should leave them with her for just a bit over the time that it would normally take them to hatch, which is around 20 days or so. After that time a hen will realise for herself that nothing is hatching and should lose interest, and you can then remove them. Your hen may be a bit disoriented for a little while when the eggs are removed, I had a chronic egg-laying lorikeet who would go through this when I removed her eggs, but they do regain their composure within a day or so. Eggs don't always hatch in the wild, they may be infertile or perhaps have abnormalities that prevent hatching, so hens will abandon them under those circumstances naturally and generally don't suffer any lasting effects :)

Most Reactions