female eclectus cannot fly

correydog

Nov 4, 2016
hi i have recently bought a pair of eclectus parrots. they are both birds from 2016 the male bird is flying well but the female seems to be unable to fly she often drops to the floor of the aviary. she seems to be very healthy in every other way eats well is very vocal.the male bird sometimes seems to pick on her a bit and it is at these times she drops to the floor.i have had the birds for a couple of months now and was wondering wether it is just because she is immature and hasn't learned to fly yet. her wings seem to be ok as she opens them for spraying which she loves. does any one have any idea of what could be causing this. i live in the far north of scotland and do not have an avian vet that i can consult.:red1:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Yes, how old are your eclectus parrots? Are we talking fully weaned, here? And to what extent does the male pick on the female?

Depending on her age, it could be that your female ekkie was never allowed to fledge and now it just doesn't come to her as second nature. Or she may have been given a bad clip where her flight feathers were cut too short and she can no longer get any lift. Have you checked to see whether she has been clipped?

Most Reactions

Latest posts