Finally decided on a amazon...

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
After much deliberation and thought I've finally decided to go with a amazon instead of a galah. Even though I love my parents galah, rosey, and she's been great here with me all these days. She is leaving this weekend back to her home with my parents. My daughter and my husband wanted me to get another galah... And I finally decided NO. This bird is going to be my bird and I will literally be doing everything with it. My 4 yr old toddler is like me, a bird lover, and handles rosey when she seems lost in the house. Telling her to "step up" so he can safely put her in her cage, with me of course hovering over the situation. Rosey climbs up to his arm because his fingers are just too little.:D

Now I'm patiently waiting for a yellow shoulder to come in. I don't think I'll be able to get my hands on one until May or June.

I'm really going to miss rosey, but I'm soo in love with an amazon. :greenyellow:

Just wanted to know what pellets do you amazon parronts feed your zon.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Congratulations on your decision! Can't go wrong with an Amazon - not ever! :D

Are you dead set on a Yellow Shouldered? If so, may I ask why?

My Amazons eat Zupreem Natural mixed under several different blends of Golden Gourmet Foods. Additionally they eat the homecooked stuff and various chop mixes. :) I'm very lucky in the aspect that my Amazons are not picky at all.

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
I guess I wanted a smaller Amazon and was steering clear of the "hot 3"because I have smaller children. I do like the yellow head, lilac crowned and yellow shoulder.

I went to the supermarket the other day and this lady and her yellow nape with her there. So I was telling her how beautiful he was and she insisted that I hold him. Well he came right on and told me "hello". I loved it, my cousin who was with me and took a quick picture.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I love that the store didn't complain about the bird there. I so wish I could do that with my Parker.

Good luck with your decision! I briefly considered a lilac crowned Amazon when I was deciding.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Where was that at. Could have been my wife with her nape, Stacie. If you were down in Fla. , that looks like Stacie.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I really like our yellow shoulder, Salty. Very smart, easy to socialize, ours talks well for a 10 MO old. I find him more 'mouthy' then our Beebe parrot was, especially now that he's starting to feel his oats. You'd need to really work with any 'zon to be cool around 4th Olds , I would think.

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
I love that the store didn't complain about the bird there. I so wish I could do that with my Parker.

Good luck with your decision! I briefly considered a lilac crowned Amazon when I was deciding.

The bird was so well behaved, I don't even think anyone saw the bird other than me.

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Where was that at. Could have been my wife with her nape, Stacie. If you were down in Fla. , that looks like Stacie.

Sorry henpecked,But this is not sunny Florida. I live in queens, ny and this was at a stop n shop. But would have loved to meet Stacie!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
What an awesome experience, and what a GREAT photo!!! :D

If you get to choose, I'd highly recommend a hen over a male (Amazon). They truly are generally a lot more laid back. :)

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
I really like our yellow shoulder, Salty. Very smart, easy to socialize, ours talks well for a 10 MO old. I find him more 'mouthy' then our Beebe parrot was, especially now that he's starting to feel his oats. You'd need to really work with any 'zon to be cool around 4th Olds , I would think.

Now, when you mean "mouthy", do you mean a bit nippy? If so I think all birds go through this nippy time. Rosey the galah is a bit nippy now, some days worse than other. She's going through a heavy molting.

And I have no idea what you mean by starting to feel his "oats"... Lol. I think I may have an idea but I could be totally wrong. Can it be related to spring and the breeding season... Lol.

I am extremely careful with my kids and yes it will be awhile before my children are able to handle the zon.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Congratulations on deciding on an Amazon I hope you find the one you are looking for and that it fits right in with your family.

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Congratulations on deciding on an Amazon I hope you find the one you are looking for and that it fits right in with your family.

Thank You!! I can't wait till they come in!!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations on the decision to add an amazon to your family! Looking forward to updates and many pics once he/she arrives.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Salty doesnt 'bite' more recently , he just mouths things a bit longer, and with more then his usual pressure. He had never bitten to the point of taking meat out, and only occasionally when we first got him did he draw a pinpoint of blood, as he became aware of how soft people are. He hasnt drawn blood in months. Every parrot will occasionally get over excited or just mad about something and use more then usual pressure, even my little BeeBee parrot Max would once in a while bite my wife.

Salty may just be harboring residual resentment to me for going away for 2 weeks on a business trip. I did Skype him but I dont know how effective that was. Amazons do hold grudges ( I think most parrots are capable of this). Good luck with what ever bird you decide to get.

Yes , oats refers to breeding season and spring.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

I understand the want for a specific Amazon, but keep in mind that you're also looking for an Amazon that really wants you! Be very open to an Amazon that chooses you!

I am guessing that you are waiting for the hatchings and therefore a baby Amazon to be available. Please do not take home an Amazon too early. Personally, I believe that the baby needs to be fledged prior to bring s/he home. And, that means that you are involved for a minimum of three or more weeks prior to the home coming. But, once again that's my opinion.

Socialize, socialize, socialize! Although it is wonderful to be fully bonded with your Amazon. An Amazon that will go to and be with 'most' everyone is very important to their life long joy with in your family, extended family and friends. Always remember that Yellow Nape that you held in the store. That should be a goal!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

FYI: I love the 'hot three!' As a group they are my favorites; with their combination of size and in your face personalities that will fill any room.

OP
Mamaof3

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Amazons!

I understand the want for a specific Amazon, but keep in mind that you're also looking for an Amazon that really wants you! Be very open to an Amazon that chooses you!

I am guessing that you are waiting for the hatchings and therefore a baby Amazon to be available. Please do not take home an Amazon too early. Personally, I believe that the baby needs to be fledged prior to bring s/he home. And, that means that you are involved for a minimum of three or more weeks prior to the home coming. But, once again that's my opinion.

Socialize, socialize, socialize! Although it is wonderful to be fully bonded with your Amazon. An Amazon that will go to and be with 'most' everyone is very important to their life long joy with in your family, extended family and friends. Always remember that Yellow Nape that you held in the store. That should be a goal!

Amazon's Have More Fun!

FYI: I love the 'hot three!' As a group they are my favorites; with their combination of size and in your face personalities that will fill any room.

Trust me i have no intention of taking home an Amazon before they are completely ready.

I do have my head set on one kind and that's the ys but I don't know which kind of zon chooses me to be its parront.

Mar 11, 2016
Centennial, CO
Parrots
Morgan- (2) PGCC, Merlin- GCC (10 months), Chi-Chi-female Mustache Parakeet ( 11 months) , Teddy-Budgie (6 months)
I guess I wanted a smaller Amazon and was steering clear of the "hot 3"because I have smaller children. I do like the yellow head, lilac crowned and yellow shoulder.

I went to the supermarket the other day and this lady and her yellow nape with her there. So I was telling her how beautiful he was and she insisted that I hold him. Well he came right on and told me "hello". I loved it, my cousin who was with me and took a quick picture.

Okay, I am researching Amazons....what are the hot three?:

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
DYH , YNA and BFA. Of course these are the more socially sophisticated , complex zons. They do tend to bond to more and become a one person bird. Socialize, socialize, socialize.

ScooterMcTavish

Jan 12, 2016
Great White North
Parrots
Monty - DYH Amazon, Rhubarb - Galah, Verdi - Canary
Good fun on your quest for a 'zon. I've become rather fond of our DYH in the 3 months we've had him, though am glad that we waited until our kids were teenagers before getting him.

Like the others, I would agree 'zons are beaky. In our quest for a parrot, we met a large variety of species, with the 'zons by far using their beaks more than the others. This isn't just for biting - it included playing, climbing, etc.

Since they use their beaks as actively as they do, and they are prone to excitement, you and your family will get bit. Depending on the day (and the moment) it may be a pinch, a blood blister, or a bloody wound. Monty adores me, yet he drew blood on my thumb yesterday when he got excited by a pen in my hand and went to go get it. Mrs. Scooter got it in the lip the other day because Monty had seen something he didn't like and bit her.

Just some food for thought as you go looking for a bird. I love my Amazon but would also not recommend one for anyone with small kids. Small kids (despite what we tell them) like to touch things. Amazons like to bite when touched. Bad combo.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I think you can train both the bird and the kids. A parrots can and will draw blood under the right circumstance so I don't think a zon is any worse choice than a mac or too or any other species.

Most Reactions

Latest posts