Finally found a new cage for the tiels!

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny and Newman - Cockatiels
I have been looking for a larger cage to house my two tiels since I moved them to the same cage. After searching for a few months, I finally found one on craigslist that had everything I was looking for: 1. size 2. seed (poo) guards, and 3. a playtop. I was able to talk her down to $120 if I picked it up. I gave it a full cleaning with diluted vinegar and GSE before setting it up - I'm about halfway through adding the toys and perches.

Sunny took to it right away, however Newman was terrified. Terrified! It took hours before he would even be in the same room with it. He spent most of the day tucked into my neck. Eventually, slowly, I could get close enough to the cage, and with the help of some millet, got him to go in on his own. Hes still a little nervous around it, I think its the playtop that is bothering him - hes never seen anything like it. I've been leaving the door open while I'm home, Sunny climbs around, sits on the play top, but Newman is being much more cautious. He'll come around, it'll just take him time.
IMG_0328_zpsd4d54d35.jpg

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
that is a great cage for a great price! Im sure they will both just love it when your scardy bird comes around :p

OP
SweetBird

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Wow! That's a Petco cage right? You got it for a fantastic price! Your tiels are living in style now.
I just checked the PetCo website and it is the same cage! I looked all over for some branding on the cage while cleaning it but didn't see a thing - but yes that is absolutely it, thanks! I've had them in and out of it a few times today, Newman is doing better every time!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
awesome find!! hopefully Newman warms up to his great new cage soon! :)

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Very nice cage. Good job getting the price down! I'm glad Newman is getting used to it. Before you know it, he will love it!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Nice cage! Especially for the price. I'm sure Newman will warm up to it soon enough :)

OP
SweetBird

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
thanks everyone! I finished adding the toys and perches today. Newman is doing alright, hes always been more nervous than Sunny, I knew it would be a long transition for him to really enjoy his new space. I love the cage, especially the seed guards! How did I ever live with out those??

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol, my cage has a seed guard but I never used it, to save space and I just knew I would constantly be hitting my shins on it haha. It's sitting next to my computer desk still in the plastic XD

I bet it's great for tiels though, my friends tiel throws seed all over XD

OP
SweetBird

SweetBird

Feb 13, 2013
Media
New England
Parrots
Oh definitely, I was vacuuming constantly before, they're messy eaters. The seed guards are wonderful! Easy to wipe down too. Before this cage, I had a table in there with the old cage(s) on it. It took up so much space in that room that even with the seed guards, this cage takes up far less floor space.

Most Reactions